Thread: Rolling Mills? C80 Entry Model Mill? Help please

Default Rolling Mills? C80 Entry Model Mill? Help please

Hi all, please advise would it be best to pay out just under £400 for the Durston Rolling Mill - C80 Entry Model Mill - 999 7158 which doesn't have gears or to pay under £200 for the economy cookson model that has 3 - 1 gear ratio please? I am only a hobbyist and can only envisage using for texturing. Just cannot decide and bit worried that the handle might be hard to turn without gears? Any help much appreciated, Many thanks!

If it is really, really only ever going to be used for texturing then the economy will probably do. Although the advantage of the gears for that purpose is probably minimal.

I'd go for the Durston, personally. Although I probably have more than enough of them at the moment... I was using the D4 yesterday to mill mokume gane billets and the 11:1 gearing is a godsend. These are quite large though, they're about 135mm square so far and just over 3mm thick; they started at 20ish mm. But that's a little outside what you're looking at!

I still go with the idea that spending more for higher quality on tools is always a sensible decision, but so is cutting your coat according to your cloth.

I always buy the best I can afford so saved for a Durston with gears which I wouldn't be without. I know a lot of people on here started off with a cheaper Indian version and then traded up later so someone will probably tell you

The gears are really a boon unless you have an athletic build. You also need a mill with at least 80 mm for flat sheet.

When I started, I joined a part time course and rolled down endless textures for stock. That might be an option. Dennis.

Thanks, so if I got a non geared Durston as I see they do one just with just plain rollers would that be ok to turn just for texturing please?

I had a non geared Durston for years and I found it fine though you have to have muscles. I only really got rid of it because I was using it a lot daily and got tendonitis in my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by taylordebs View Post
    Thanks, so if I got a non geared Durston as I see they do one just with just plain rollers would that be ok to turn just for texturing please?
    It's with rolling sheet and with texturing, that the absence of gears really makes the mill hard to turn.

Also the grooves, notably the V-shaped ones, allow you to convert bars, thick round wire and long narrow offcuts into square wire. A very useful facility.

As a beginner you might have narrow horizons now, but if you persevere at this hobby, you will later regret your lack of foresight. Dennis

Many thanks!