Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: September 2014 Theme Competition

The detail is brilliant and what a good idea. No wonder that he loved it. The moving wheel takes it to another level.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Feeling brave so I will post my entry

Orchid pendant, 30mm.
    Carved out roughly in wax and cast in Delft clay then hand carved the detail.
    Pretty pleased with the Delft clay actually as I normally cast simpler shapes and thought it wouldn't work with the cup shape.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orchidpendant3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	6599
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orchidpendantback.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	6600

Delft clay casting has always been on my list of things to attempt, but I don't think I would manage to achieve anything recognisable,....I like how you have managed to cast the shape both front and back,...what did you use to hand carve the detail?? Just seen the measurements, that's a nice sized piece Sarah!!

Thanks very much Tabby

You should have a go with the Delft clay, its good fun and not too expensive if you have a kiln.
    I used a wax carver like this:
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/forming...ax-carver.html
    Which is actually a soldering iron, to get the bulk of the wax removed and basic shape, you can remove quite a lot with the temperature high then a little at a time if you turn it down.
    Then I used a tiny file and some wax carving tools before casting and carved out the fine detail and gave it more depth after casting using various burrs on my dremel.

Fab design Sian and well done Sarah on the orchid (am also loving your horsehair stuff!)

Hoping the comp stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks very much Tabby

You should have a go with the Delft clay, its good fun and not too expensive if you have a kiln.
    I used a wax carver like this:
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/forming...ax-carver.html
    Which is actually a soldering iron, to get the bulk of the wax removed and basic shape, you can remove quite a lot with the temperature high then a little at a time if you turn it down.
    Then I used a tiny file and some wax carving tools before casting and carved out the fine detail and gave it more depth after casting using various burrs on my dremel.
    Thanks for the info Sarah.....loads of detailed work!! The wax carver looks like an interesting bit of kit!!

Thanks Tabby and Medusa
    Just been for a nosey on your website Tabby, your work is beautiful, especially love some of the rings!

Thanks Sarah......rings are my biggest challenge....in terms of mastering diamond mounting the teeniest tiniest measurement matters.....sometimes it drives me mad!!! If I remember, I'll post some pics of a 'new' engagement ring I am currently making for a 30th wedding anniversary.....it is still work in progress....but I am finally winning!!!!

Stone setting is my biggest challenge and Im nowhere near your level, different galaxy in fact !

I enjoy seeing the interpretation of each months theme and for me it's about joining in and being part of the community. I don't expect to win but have made friends through this platform and very much appreciated being visited at a recent craft fair I was doing by a member of this forum (you know who you are, it was great to meet you and thank you for taking the time :-) )

I'm here because I love making jewellery and I'm sure that goes for most of us. I have won in the past and that has enabled me to create pieces that I wouldn't have been able to afford the silver for otherwise, which has in turn pushed me further in my skills. I say 'keep up the encouragement Cooksons' !