Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gemstone Settings on Commissions

Default Gemstone Settings on Commissions

Just curious as to what any of you folk do if say a customer comes back to you because a stone has fallen out of the setting? This hasn't happened to me....but I'm always worried that it could/might happen!! Of course I always make sure the stone is secure, but I'm sure it can and does still happen!

.......aaaagh.......has happened (once)......reassured them about the high experience and quality of the professional stone setter and put right at my own expense......have known of it happening to others too....unless obviously run over and stamped upon......take it on the chin........

You need to figure out what happened & why, helps to see the item in question.
    There are lots of reasons..hopefully it is a rare occurrence.

I just repaired one where the claw had been undercut too much, so the minute it caught on something (and it was left jaggy, so it did so quite quickly) the setting opened up and the stone fell out. I flowed new metal up the side of the claw to bulk it out - which was when I found the thing had been tipped with solder previously.

happened to me last week to my mortification, took the design off my website immediately, replaced stone for a better one at my cost and altered setting - looked almost identical, but no danger of it happening again. Ring in question had been stretched, and think it had put stress on the setting, but not risking it happen again.

I get the rare odd channel ring back with a stone missing, what happens is..the shops buy one average size from the manufacturer to save buying several sizes & then try to do the sizing later..which can sometimes be problematic.
    Rather than order the correct size & wait.
    If their sizing goes pear-shaped they blame the manufacturer :screwy: don't like that but that's how things are here, same goes for rings mistreated by customers, they expect them to be indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    happened to me last week to my mortification, took the design off my website immediately, replaced stone for a better one at my cost and altered setting - looked almost identical, but no danger of it happening again. Ring in question had been stretched, and think it had put stress on the setting, but not risking it happen again.
    Oh dear...I can imagine your horror, but at least you got it all sorted!! It is one of my worst nightmares, and I am sure it is a matter of time for me....I'd say it probably happens to most on a rare occasion!

Our much treasured member, Murano Silver, now sadly no longer with us, once said 'you can love a ring to death'. This is particularly true of silver of course.

Luckily as rings get old the settings are somewhat reinforced with sweat, skin flakes and other residues. Of course the the real situation becomes apparent in the dreaded ultrasonic bath.

In the old days before I set under a microscope, this did occur from time to time.
    Particularly with micro-pavè, the bane of any setter.
    Since the stones are so small, it is simply easier to replace at your cost.
    I now use a microscope when I set and since then I have never had a stone fall out.
    This is super important because I set for a few German jewelers around here in Dusseldorf, and trust me, they are
    anal to a fault.
    Generally, with private customers, it is simple better to replace the stone, if, of course the piece is not obviously damaged.

I miss Nic. Wish she was still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Our much treasured member, Murano Silver, now sadly no longer with us, once said 'you can love a ring to death'. This is particularly true of silver of course.

Luckily as rings get old the settings are somewhat reinforced with sweat, skin flakes and other residues. Of course the the real situation becomes apparent in the dreaded ultrasonic bath.