Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ijl

Footnote to thread..anyone interested can read my daily blog about my buying trip to Hong Kong - if you think pearls are small, round and white then please have a look
    http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/blog/
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

It's great to have a supplier who cares so much about the quality of pearls. Maybe one of these days I'll introduce some into my range.

Really interesting read pearlescence......ended up reading about your whole trip!!!! It's a shame, but I guess not that surprising how the big suppliers behaved, I agree,.....why would you give them your money if they can't even be civil!! I love the pictures of some of your finds......that huge blue pearl in a bag of insignificant others......that must have been a nice moment!!!

Thanks for sharing

Thank you both for your time and nice words.
    Yes, finding that blue one was a highlight. It's why I schlep all the way there. You just cannot get pearls like that remotely, even with the best suppliers. With the unusual south sea strand we looked through every strand in the wholesaler's office (thousands) and there was not another remotely like it. Again, had to be there.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Footnote to thread..anyone interested can read my daily blog about my buying trip to Hong Kong - if you think pearls are small, round and white then please have a look
    http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/blog/
    the blog needs pics! show us yer booty!

Hi Wendy, I read your blog fascinated to the very end. Despite some snooty people you must have returned on a high (and slept for a week).

A long time ago in another life, I visited trade fairs and there was one company, which believe it or not had a closed up part of their stand marked 'The Holy of Holies'. This was where Important Buyers were entertained by the Top Bosses. Lesser folk were seen by tetchy but lesser sales people.

It gave my much satisfaction, when years later during the depression, this company went bankrupt.

Your customers are lucky to have you. Dennis.

Medusa, the blog has many photos.
    Dennis, you are a sweetheart and a lovely customer, I am lucky to have you!
    (Getting a bit squishy - sorry)
    I think total patronisation is a characteristic of the big bullion companies. I was at the HK show a couple of years ago with a friend who is the biggest pearl wholesaler in Australia. She went to this (uk bullion) stand looking for findings (we are always looking for good findings) The head man on the stand turned to her and said 'too expensive for you dearie?'
    He lost a six figure sale in those words
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk