Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soldering on textured surface

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Why is frosted texture different from other textures to work with? I've never frosted anything (except cakes), so I don't know the technique used.
    For a good quality frosting it is always better to polish the item first before frosting, then you get a nice even finish. When I want to frost something I use my scratch brush unit fitted with a 4 inch diam. brass brush and to achieve the frosting I hold a needle file handle against the spinning brush just above the item that need frosting. To explain further, this process makes the brass brush hit the item with the ends of it's bristles giving a nice even frost finish.

This is my scratch brush unit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 Jims scratch brush unit.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	6459

James

It may be worth investing in one of these Sandra, you can remove any excess solder and mimic the texture of the flick wheel with it right up to the bezel......if you do have an excess of solder ;-D

There are many other texturing effects that you can achieve with this too!

James I would love to play in your workshop with all the different devices! I have the most basic workshop now but I'm adding to it all the time. Tabby66 did you mean to attach a picture or are you referring to Goldsmith's picture?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    James I would love to play in your workshop with all the different devices! I have the most basic workshop now but I'm adding to it all the time. Tabby66 did you mean to attach a picture or are you referring to Goldsmith's picture?!
    I meant to attach a link......(hopefully more success this time!!).....http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true

Oh thank you - I don't have one of those, next order it will be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    These are hammer textured and then soldered - not too bad. You can add bezels, and so on. What I have found that works if adding a bezel is to put the solder on the inside and draw it out. I do it as a standard with all bezels so I do it naturally now rather thank think about it.

I am sure others will have better works to show, but that is all I have to hand at the moment. The exception to the rule, is frosted work, that of course needs to be done at the last hurdle.

Attachment 6458
    it's like life suddenly got a little bit easier! Thank you!

I tend to make a lots of pendants using cuttlefish casting. I know its a basic method, but I really do like the texture it can create.

As a result of this, I have successfully managed to solder bezels for stones onto several pieces without any problems or overflow onto the textured surface outside of the bezel itself.

If you've got the right amout of solder and have been VERY precise with your flux ( preheated before setting in its final position to avoid further bloom ) then using the method that James and others have suggested works great. On the odd occassion when theres been a tiny gap between the bezel and the textured surface due to the texture itself, Ive actually found that this can be closed with careful soldering as it seems to pull the metal flush into place.

Cheers,

Nick