Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filigree-Work (Some steps)

Wow, Jasdir, those are beautiful, do you solder everything in one go? And what is the black substance you are using...which I presume provides heat resistance??

Very pretty!
    Also wondering about the black stuff, seems to be a mixture of charcoal/graphite of some sort, looks home-made.
    I love homemade things, it means I usually don't need to pay for expensive shipping.

When propping everything onto that black stuff for soldering/fusing, did you build the black stuff up in levels underneath to get the proper elevation?

Some advice tough, when doing macro photography, set the camera (or app) into macro mode (assuming you use a compact camera or phone), keep the object in center and make sure it is focused before snapping the shot. If in doubt, take one or two more, they are always deletable. The work photos are a bit blurry and it seems to be because the focus is off, not because you had motion blur.
    I know, any pictures are better than none, still, even if you just use it for your own reminders it will be better with sharp photos.

Oh, and if using an Android phone, some models do not play well with Google's own app, try a different one like Camera ZOOM FX or Focal, I had always trouble focusing on my phone until I changed app (couldn't tell by the pictures, camera info was stripped).

/Andreas

Lovely seeing the steps. I would gnaw off my own arm to work in that gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Wow, Jasdir, those are beautiful, do you solder everything in one go? And what is the black substance you are using...which I presume provides heat resistance??
    Black substance is Clay mixed with ash (Ash is mixed according to the required hardness in different jewellery cases).
    Soldering is not done on clay. Clay only helps to hold all the parts together. Liquid plaster is poured on the clay after completing the design on clay. When plaster gets set/dry/hardened than soldering is done on the dry-plaster from back side to make it one single piece.

I hope this is clear to you, or I'll upload some pictures anyday

_/\_
    Jewelry for today's world,
    Whereby, style following the pattern of traditional world !

Quote Originally Posted by Icarleug View Post
    Very pretty!
    Also wondering about the black stuff, seems to be a mixture of charcoal/graphite of some sort, looks home-made.
    I love homemade things, it means I usually don't need to pay for expensive shipping.
    As I already defined in my post above.. Black stuff is clay mixed with ash.
    Of course its hand made so you need not to worry for expenses

When propping everything onto that black stuff for soldering/fusing, did you build the black stuff up in levels underneath to get the proper elevation?
    Yes clay is build in levels underneath to get the proper elevation, but soldering is done as i explained in my post above.

Some advice tough, when doing macro photography, set the camera (or app) into macro mode (assuming you use a compact camera or phone), keep the object in center and make sure it is focused before snapping the shot. If in doubt, take one or two more, they are always deletable. The work photos are a bit blurry and it seems to be because the focus is off, not because you had motion blur.
    I know, any pictures are better than none, still, even if you just use it for your own reminders it will be better with sharp photos.

Oh, and if using an Android phone, some models do not play well with Google's own app, try a different one like Camera ZOOM FX or Focal, I had always trouble focusing on my phone until I changed app (couldn't tell by the pictures, camera info was stripped).

/Andreas
    This,
    Thanks for you valuable input, Andreas
    Last edited by Jasdir Singh Jaura; 07-07-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Lovely seeing the steps. I would gnaw off my own arm to work in that gold!
    Come to India

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdir Singh Jaura View Post
    Black substance is Clay mixed with ash (Ash is mixed according to the required hardness in different jewellery cases).
    Soldering is not done on clay. Clay only helps to hold all the parts together. Liquid plaster is poured on the clay after completing the design on clay. When plaster gets set/dry/hardened than soldering is done on the dry-plaster from back side to make it one single piece.

I hope this is clear to you, or I'll upload some pictures anyday

_/\_
    Clever!
    Will allow everything to stay nice and tidy. As I work a bit with filigree myself it is hard sometimes to make everything stay nice and put when soldering. And you would always want to solder from the back if possible to avoid tricky clean-up jobs.
    Do you use regular plaster of paris, or some other variant?
    How do you remove the plaster when the piece is finished? Soak and acid?

The ash-plaster-soldering technique would be a great addition to the tutorial board if you have the time to describe it!

/Andreas

Jasdir.....your posts are so interesting.....so the black stuff....approximately what proportion of clay to ash do you use and is any ash okay.....my mind is going mad with how I could use this!!!

And then, you pour liquid plaster on....this dries and holds the parts in place, at this point so you lift it away from the black clay and apply solder, apply the heat which burns away the plater and as the plaster burns away soldering occurs?? If I'm not being clear please ask, it is intriguing to hear of and see different methods!!

Many thanks,
    Tabby

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Jasdir.....your posts are so interesting.....so the black stuff....approximately what proportion of clay to ash do you use and is any ash okay.....my mind is going mad with how I could use this!!!

And then, you pour liquid plaster on....this dries and holds the parts in place, at this point so you lift it away from the black clay and apply solder, apply the heat which burns away the plater and as the plaster burns away soldering occurs?? If I'm not being clear please ask, it is intriguing to hear of and see different methods!!

Many thanks,
    Tabby
    All of the above! Or is it sweat soldered, I'm assuming if it's then soldered from the back you can't apply solder once the plaster has set or am I misunderstanding?