Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2014 Themed Competition

Default May 2014 Themed Competition

May 14 Competition Theme: Gold

Post your themed pieces within this thread with a little bit about the design and the winner will be revealed at the end of the month!

The Winner will WIN a £100 shopping spree.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

A few legalities...

Terms & conditions

No purchase necessary. The closing date for the competition will be 31.05.2014. The winner will win a £100 inc. VAT shopping spree at Cooksongold.

The judging process will take place by 06.06.2014. Our Judging Panel will make the final decision.

The Competition is open to all Cooksongold customers aged 18 years and over.

Only one entry per category per person.

There is no cash alternative. Cooksongold reserves the right to change the prize for one of equivalent value.

The winner will be notified on the forum within this thread by 06.06.2014.

Employees of Cooksongold, their agents and families are excluded from the competition together with any person connected to the competition.

Entry into the competition is deemed as acceptance of the rules. The winner agrees to participate in any publicity in connection with the competition.

To enter the competition, simply publish your design/comment within this thread.

No correspondence will be entered into. The judging panel's decision is final. The promoter is Cooksongold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	6055

Hello,

I'm so excited to post for the first time. Here's my entry for the competition, it's a silver bee pendant with gold accents. The eyes and stripes are in old wire. I haven't worked with gold before, so I forgot that the gold wire I found in my box was gold filled, not pure gold, accounting for the rose gold eyes the poor thing ended up with!

I wanted to keep the appearance a lot like a sketch, so the design is quite loose.

I'm teaching myself silver smithing via books and the internet, mostly.

Welcome to the forums Latibah. You're sure to find a plethora of knowledge & lovely people here. I'm also self taught and would never have made it as far as I have without the lovely community of Cooksons. Good luck with the competition =)
    Sian Williamson

Ditto to what Keia said! I would've given up by now if it weren't for all the help from the people on this forum.
    I like your little bee Latibah, he's super cute

Thank you both!

Name:	spring necklace one.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	6107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring necklace two.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	6108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring necklace three.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	6109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring necklace four.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	6110

I wasn't sure if I should keep this for the next comp (natural world) or add it in this months, as it could fall into both categories. This is a teeny tiny necklace pendant with 9ct gold detailing.

This is an old make revisited 2 years later. I originally made a necklace for a family member at the very start of my career, the result was atrocious. It had a very badly fitted amethyst cab that looked like a mouse had chewed the edges and two very flat, sad looking leaves. (I was going to post a photo of the original but realised I don't really want to embarrass myself *that* much =p) I wanted to revisit that necklace and make it properly for her - the way I had imagined it & wanted it to be back then. I presented her with this about 2 weeks ago and she was so happy with it, she put an order for a similar one for her wee daughter =D
    Past mistakes can be fixed sometimes =)
    Sian Williamson

Sweet little bee, Latibah! A lovely amethyst pendant, Sian. It must be difficult working that small but the end result is well worth it.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Thanks Elaine =) It was quite fiddly & needed to think of a few inventive ways to keep the flowers balanced long enough to get soldered
    Sian Williamson

I would like to place my dragonfly necklace in this month's competition! He is about 5cm long and made of silver with a golden amber stone for his body and golden wings.
    I had a lot of fun with this project and started without a plan and created him as I went along. On the wings I sweat soldered another thin layer of silver that I had textured and pierced. I started to fill the cutout areas with 9kt easy gold solder, but once I experienced seeing the beautiful flow of gold I decided to "go with the flow" and covered the entire wing as well as the tail with gold! (It's hard to tell in the picture but it's very shiny gold!). I then oxidised the recessed areas which gave it a more earthy feel.
    As many of you know I've been teaching myself jewellery making with a lot of help from people here. I've resolved to enter a piece each month for the competition to keep me going and keep learning and improving. (I hope one day I will be able to win the competition when there is another entry besides myself!)

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	6140. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	6139

(I'm not sure why the pictures are sideways, they aren't that way in my gallery!)
    Last edited by Sandra; 18-05-2014 at 01:34 PM.

The pics aren't showing Sandra and it says they're invalid.Is it just a problem at my end?

Ah,can see now I like the effect on his wings,he's cute! Nice to see a different dragonfly too,they are usually samey samey!
    Last edited by Spectra; 18-05-2014 at 01:34 PM.