Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little fun

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default a little fun

Hi Everyone,
    it has been a little while since I posted something I made - moving house, being ill constantly, and finishing off some wonderful commissions has kept me away from doing things that come from that quirky brain of mine. Well, it is Easter and I am not one for sticking to the norms, so the closest I get is a an erm.... Easter Bonnet! The inner flowers rise and lower a little by turning the flower on the front. Just made to work out the mechanics behind the rising and lowering... I love soldering, but really it was so much a thank goodness for FM solution and Tippex!

Setting the stones in the flowers was a nightmare at first, until I remembered I had adapted a pair of pliers with a nice groove suitable for wires to sit in without getting damaged! Couldn't do that with the flower on the front, and the Tesla replacement hammer action helped out along with some leather for support on the rear.

I am trying to use up old stock of bead caps and thought this would be a fun way to do it. Why a Hat and not a flowerpot? I have not made a Top Hat before. The rim was bent round mechanically myself, rather than disc cutting it (I have some tools packed away so had to do it that way instead.

A suggestion on my Facebook page seems to make me agree that it would look fab as a long hat pin!

Benefits - Pollen free, no calories and very sparkly.

flowers lowered
    Attachment 6004

flowers raised
    Attachment 6003

perspective on size
    Attachment 6005

it isn't perfect, but I am fascinated with things that have some movement and wanted to start putting this into my work more than I have done already. The way it rises and lowers is on an egg shaped pivot, that helps it gain and reduce height as it turns. I will try and take a pic of the mechanism before I finally cap the top piece (if I remember)

I love it Wallace! It would be brilliant to see the mechanism too - I can't get my head around how it works at all.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

thanks Lauren -

Will put a note on my bench!

Gorgeous. I'd love to see the mechanism too.

Oh my god, that is fabulous. I'd love to see the mechanism too, as, like you Wallace, I'm especially drawn to things that move.

Edited to say sorry you haven't been feeling well Wallace. A house move won't have helped either, so I hope things settle down for you soon.
    Last edited by Petal; 16-04-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Jules

That is wonderful. Bet the soldering was a real nightmare, but it is just so sweet.
    Didi

Thank you for cheering us up Wallace. It doesn't have to be an item of jewellery-just be there for fun. Dennis.

Love it! You clever old thing

I didn't realise you were moving? Far? Have the children (two and four-legged) coped?

I love it- how amazingly talented!