Thread: Where can I get good quality amethyst beads?

Default Where can I get good quality amethyst beads?

Hi
    I have made some gorgeous pieces of jewellery using deep purple amethyst beads however, I've noticed that the quality varies significantly even from the same sources. The last order I recieved were really disappointing - advertised as Grade A but were much paler and cloudy in appearance. Like a true jewellery diva I returned them to the supplier but thus far haven't received a replacement yet.
    Do any of you know of a good supplier? Do you find inconsistency often with the quality from suppliers? (This is all still very new to me!)

Thanks in advance.

BeeDee

Always a tricky one.

I've always had very good quality from www.precioussparklebeads.com and www.thecuriousgem.co.uk, and I also think affinity beads are very reliable. I do try to do my gemstone buying in person if I can though - if you can get to a beadfair (or the autumn fair this week), it makes a huge difference being able to see and handle what you're buying.

In terms of grade, A isn't very good. For beads you really want at least AA or better still AAA. Sadly, the majority of beads are made from the poorer stones, so getting great quality can be difficult.

I've always found that if I order by phone from Kernowcraft, they're very good about picking out the best quality. They also happen to be only a few miles down the road from me, so I sometimes call in and choose.

A second for Precious Sparkle but, having said that, I did receive some very poor quality lapis from them about a year back, as well as some dreadful amazonite. However, they do list the quality of their stones, which, if you can't get there in person, should give you some indication.

When I complained about the quality of the aforesaid beads, they took them back and refunded with no quibble.
    Di x

I actually bought some really beautiful pieces from http://www.beadshopuk.com

Great quality on all the beads received but I've only used them once up to now. I ordered a pile so we haven't needed any more yet.

Default Amethyst Beads Advice

Thanks for all the advice - I like the idea of going to a Bead Fair - where do I find out dates and venues? So far I have relied on the internet as I'm not aware of any decent shops in my area (Northumberland) but mind you I haven't actually pursued this option (yet).

Thanks Again
    BeeDee x

I'd reccomend The Curious Gem and Kernowcraft also. Never had bad beads from either. Precious Sparkle are OK but I wouldn't rate them as highly.
    Lucinda

Marcia Lanyon in London is very good with quality, if a little dearer as a result. But I don't know where you are based. She would travel to all the big fairs though, I'm sure.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by BeeDee View Post
    Thanks for all the advice - I like the idea of going to a Bead Fair - where do I find out dates and venues? So far I have relied on the internet as I'm not aware of any decent shops in my area (Northumberland) but mind you I haven't actually pursued this option (yet).

Thanks Again
    BeeDee x
    There is a big bead fair in Edinburgh on Sunday 4th October - which is sort of your neck of the woods, i think. At the Corn Exchange (I can't seem to post a link to their website as I'm a new member of this forum)