Thread: How to seal a jump ring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to seal a jump ring

Hi Everybody,

I am new to the Forum and I was hoping if one of you could help me with a quick question.
    I would like to know how I could permanently seal jump rings without soldering them. When they are small and quite bendy, they sometimes open and little items like charms fall off... I was wondering if there was a product like a sealant (a bit like superglue?) which one could use for gold, silver or even dark coloured metals like brass?

Thanks in advance,

Lolinha

Hi Lolinha welcome to the forums.

I am afraid i am a noob so i cannot answer your question but no doubt one of the clever ones will be along any minute
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Wink

Hiya and welcome.

The bad news is that no, glue isn't advised, cheats never win!(as my Dad would say) The best thing is to solder them, I'm afraid. If they are not able to be soldered (due to enamel on the charm or suchlike) then I would suggest making your jumprings a lot heavier - say 0.5-0.75mm and work them well side to side, overlapping to close over well, give them spring and harden at the same time, do you know what I mean?
    Hope this helps.

Nikki

Alternatively, and especially for charms, you could use a split ring. In places where you're needing to join a particularly fine wire or thread, an oval jump ring can be useful too.
    (and welcome from me too )
    Last edited by mizgeorge; 26-08-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add welcome!

Hi again and thanks to everybody who took the time to reply and your warm welcome.
    Sorry I was offline for a few hours...

I did suspect the answer was going to say that there was no alternative to soldering...
    However, I will follow some of your advice - split rings and oval jump rings - thanks, Mizgeorge.

Nikki, I can't really go much heavier than the smallest (or almost the smallest) for the jump rings, as I am working with very fine gold thread and the rings I am using can't be too thick. I am not sure I understand what you mean in your last sentence (I understand the overlapping bit...)...

Any other suggestions, anyone out there?...

Lolinha

PS- Does anybody know where I could find some really interesting (I want to say 'funky', but certainly do not mean it in a blasphemous way) religious medals (colourful and bling) and some interesting charms (large, fun and colourful, not your usual sweet enamel slipper or pewter teddy bear)?
    I have tried eBay and found some, but looking for ideas...
    Thanks again,
    L.

Red face Jumprings

well, you know when you've got your jump ring in your two sets of pliers, and you push the two ends over each other, to the side to form an over lap, then bring it back to the centre to "ping" it shut with the spring pressure you've created? Do it another couple of times, to each side before you bring it back to the middle. Not too much or you'll snap it, but enough to workharden it a bit. Sorry it's really hard to explain with out showing you or drawing a pic, hope you acn understand my ramblings. The splitrings sound your best option, to be honest, Georege is the jumpring master!

Nikki