Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to seal a jump ring

Default Charms

bijouxbeads.co.uk, thebeadshopscotland.co.uk and jillybeads, all have some 'funky' findings, the best thing to do though is buy a bead magazine and then scroll through the adverts or google charms i spend hours doing this no wonder i dont have time to make anything but remember to note down where you saw what you wanted or you will have to start again lol

emerald

Hi Emerald,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have checked the websites and they seem good. Thebeadshopscotland didn't come up, though...
    I am looking for more funky - almost wacky, like really unusual stuff.
    Thank anyway and if you come across anything during your wander-arounds, please let me know...
    Have a look at justbeads.co.uk and add it to your list... it's easy to navigate and quite cheap, I find... E-beads.co.uk is another good one.
    Let me know what you think.
    I also spend far too much time doing research, that's why I think it is quite nice and so useful when people are happy to share the fruit of their 'hard labour'...
    Speak soon,
    Lolinha

Sorry if this sounds really daft (Mocha and I are self-taught newbies, so..) but can you solder a jump ring with a soldering iron instead. Does it still oxidise? At least it would prevent the whole piece from fire stain...wouldn't it?...

No (I'm afraid). A soldering iron doesn't reach nearly high enough temperatures for silver. Unless you have access to a microflame or laser, then silver (and gold) soldering is actually not soldering at all, but brazing, and needs a nice hot flame. Which is great for the pyromaniacs amongst us!

Hi Lolinha,

Try these two places, I was sent the link by Barbara, as I was looking for clay pigeon shooting charms, but they might prove useful for you????

http://www.charmschooluk.com/sterlin...charms-1-c.asp
    www.jewelleryenchantments.co.uk

Let me know if they work out..

Jules

Default Thanks!

Thanks very much Mizgeorge for your advice!
    It's really great to be able to hear from fellow jewellers. Hope we can help one day as well!

there is a thread somewhere else in here about charms, try searching for that, they had some pretty diverse stuff..... if you have to use glue use two part epoxy resin (such as araldite) but getting a clean join on a tiny jumpring nearly impossible. Trouble with glue is it nearly always becomes brittle...
    E

you could use araldite glue, I've used it a few times in my work, not for jump rings tho, you can file away the excess so it shouldn't show up too much, give it a test run, worth a try!