Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change And Change About.

Default Change And Change About.

As the resident jeweller so to speak, for family and friends, it falls to my lot to do repairs, remakes and deal with rejects. It keeps me on my toes.

This Dream Catcher necklace, made last year, just didn’t catch on. It was returned on the grounds that the back was scratchy, but I was already half hearted about the design.

The strung beads had been threaded onto an inner hoop, held in place by the friction of the knots. So rather than scrap it altogether, I suggested drilling a few more holes and suspending a pearl there instead.

This time I used 0.25 mm stretched stainless steel binding wire, the crossed threads, keeping the pearl more or less centred. The result is a bit of a compromise but as people say when they‘re not sure, ‘it’s different’.

Surprisingly, to my eye, it's looking good in use, because the wire becomes virtually invisible and the pearl appears to be floating. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pt Dream Catcher Necklace.jpg   pt Dream Catcher Converted.jpg   pt Dream Catcher Converted 2.jpg  

Well I have to admit to wearing my makes for an hour or so to see if they annoy and scratch, trouble is when you catch a view of it on you think, what a waste to sell this and you keep it for yourself, but you being a boy cant really do that can you.

I like that Dennis, for what it's worth, I think it's an improvement!! Like Pat, I try new designs to make sure that they are comfortable to wear,......perhaps you could get away with it around the house.....just remember not to answer the door

Much prefer it Dennis. Must admit I wasn't so keen on the original. I also test drive my own stuff.

That's simple and elegant Dennis. I love the touch of the little dangly on the end of the chain, which sets the whole thing off nicely. I road test my own stuff too, around the house and whilst gardening, though I can look a bit odd with evening jewellery!
    Jules

I much prefer the new version. Nice and elegant.

Nice reworking Dennis.

I always wear my prototypes to see how they do as well, as invariably I put the ear posts or jump ring in the wrong place so things don't hang right.

Thank you all for your replies. Mostly my wearers are too polite to complain and I have to judge my pieces by popularity, or simply how they look to me on an actual person.

That said, once I get an idea I have to see it through, to the detriment of my guinea pigs. I am not into cross dressing to test things for myself, but if I were, well this is London, so no one would stare or even blink. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I liked them both. Great to see the clasp has had a little switcheroo too.

Much prefer the remake Dennis. I always test out my makes too but guess that would be a tad difficult for you Dennis !

Sonia
    x