Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bending a sharp corner in metals

Default Bending a sharp corner in metals

Andy asked about bending some silver into a sharp corner to fit a lute, I am not sure I can visualise what the job is, but in the trade when we make boxes that require sharp 90 degree corners we always score the inside of the bend. This can be done with a graver, a file or what we call scorers, these are a cutting tool that can score a groove when pulled along a deep scribed line in metal. Once you have scored a line the metal will bend easier at this point and create a sharp corner. The score line does not have to be deep, although when bending thick metals a decent depth of score line will be needed, but for Andy's 0.75mm. fine silver a slight line will do. But I would advise experimenting with some same thickness copper sheet before doing it on the silver.

Here are some photos of one of my scorers, I have a few, each with a different cutting angle as different angles are needed when scoring for multi sided shapes, I made some of my scorers by bending and grinding the tangs on old files, this is one of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 file tang scorer.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	5877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 file tang scorer.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	5876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 file tang scorer.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	5878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 file tang scorer.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	5879

James

I used a scorer for bending the 1mm. thick 18ct. gold on the corners when making some of these cigarette lighters, way back when smoking wasn't frowned upon.

Name:	172 M&Ms Cigarette lighters.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	5880

James

damn, those are beautiful! it would actually be worth taking up smoking just to use them.

Yeah, but you'd have to sell the gold to afford it...

I am trying to work out a scorer to order from Cookson but unsure which one (or two). I would use it for scoring smaller projects probably using metal that is not too thick. I also need a tool for engraving small details, I have a Dremel pendant style drill with a multitude of bits but I'd rather do it by hand. There are just too many to choose from so I don't know what would be best to start with!

Hi Sandra, a scorer works by pulling it along rather than pushing, so it is not the same as as a graver, or scorper. As you can see from James' posts above, you can make your own by bending (while red hot) and grinding the tang of a file. I doubt there is anywhere to buy one.

If you feel that you are not upto this at the moment, then short lines, upto about 2cm can be scored by starting with a tightly strung saw until you are about half way through at each end. The cut will be rather shallow in the middle, due to the blade sagging, but the top end of the blade stays fairly firm, so use that.

Then continue with a medium cut triangular needle file and finally with a medium cut square needle file, until you just see an even line appear on the other side. This will give you the means of creating a right angle and checking it on a metal block, or set square.

Once you are satisfied with the angle, you must run some solder in to maintain it. Please note that if measuring on the inside, each side will become shorter when folded. So with a box made of 1mm thick metal measuring 10x10mm on the outside, the walls will be about 8mm long on the inside, depending on how deeply you have scored. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-04-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks for the help.....again! Well earlier today I took some scrap copper sheet and tried scoring lines with my Dremel and a metal ruler and made a little house. The corners were mostly rounded as I wasn't scoring it properly. Too bad they don't sell that type of scorer as no, I'm not up to trying to make one just yet. I don't have those needle files yet either so it's more to add to my list. Would I really solder the cut? Is this to prevent it from snapping in two?

Yes, thin metal once scored and folded is very fragile and needs soldering. This will give you a new experience of seeing how easily solder will fill a crease. Also once made, you could cut your angle piece into two short lengths and form the sides of a box. Obviously if one side is wider than the other, the matching sides must be opposite one another to form a rectangle.

From there you could add top and bottom for a box, or use it to set a rectangular stone. Beware that if you make an enclosed space, it must be vented to rinse out any pickle, and also to avoid a possible explosion should you have to re-heat it.

There you are, a whole new world. Dennis.

Sandra, here is a little sketch I drew a while back when answering another question about shaping corners, it shows info on a home made scorer that was made from quarter inch square silver steel rod. Also may I suggest that you buy yourself a Bullstick Oval Scorper with a scorper handle as they are useful for many cutting jobs like making small corners without having a scorer, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AYX

James

Name:	75 Scorer explained.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	5960
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 12-04-2014 at 10:29 AM.

A new photo sheet tutorial relating to this old posting, that I prepared for another forum, some may find it useful for when making square edged boxes and photo frames.

Name:	12b file tang scorer sheet.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	7195

James