Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultrasonics

A £20 ultrasonic is not really going to do much in terms of cleaning I'm afraid Patstone. We bought a cheapie, £80 off eBay, similar to the ones Cooksons sells, with a digital heater and timer and that works really well. Although we only use this one occasionally in the studio. Not even this would stand the daily abuse we put our retail workshop through.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

I bought my ultrasonic because it was a recommendation from one of the forum members, although he said he bought his in Lidls, but its the same make as mine. So as he is a lot more experienced than me I bought the same one as I only process around 10 or so items a month, I thought a cheap one would be sufficient. I suppose like someone mentioned above that I could use it to clean chains etc, it was a mistake and waste of £20. I didnt know what to expect from an ultrasonic because I have never used one or know anyone that has got one, apart from you guys, and I bought what I was told was "brilliant", but you live and learn.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

They are brilliant for cleaning all the polish off and prepping for soldering Pat. But, the water has to be hot and the sonic needs to be sufficient. It is a cleaner, it can clean brilliantly. I have used a lower range model with boiling water and fairy liquid in the past and it did an okay job.

It isn't for polishing, just cleaning. It doesn't get rid of tarnish, chemicals do that. It creates millions of little bubbles that breakdown the dirt, grease, and so on. I have used it to clean someone's ring that had years of baking still attached to it. Lol

The cheaper models are a bit of a faff having to refill them with hot water all the time, but for occasional use they're effective enough IMO. But as Wallace says, they'll clean polish, filings etc. off but that's all any of them do.

If you're very lucky they'll clean enough dirt out behind a stone for it to pop free too... Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    If you're very lucky they'll clean enough dirt out behind a stone for it to pop free too... Gah.
    Enjoying your new ultrasonic then Peter? ;-)

That was the old one. At least I'd warned it was a possibility before I cleaned it, and it was in a teaball so the stone was retained.

The newer ultrasonic remains a bone of contention with the supplier.

Is that not sorted out yet? :what:

Still plodding through the credit card route. They've just come back asking for more detail.