Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonics

Default Ultrasonics

Linked to my post about cleaning Luxi off, I think it's time I had a proper ultrasonic. Hitherto, I've been using one of the cheap domestic ones, but the lack of power and lack of heater (and the fact that it's actually getting a fair bit of use now) means it's probably time to upgrade.

Is there any point looking at anything but Elma?

I did consider a steam cleaner, but an ultrasonic probably suits me better for now.

Ive got this one http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-AJZ8

The quality isn't great but it does work quite well, though it takes a while to warm up. If I forget to switch it on to warm up, I normally top it up from the kettle.

That's quite a bit cheaper than the Elmas! One of the things that attracts me to the Elmas (in a purely platonic way) is the availability of spares. I also like the idea of being able to plonk beakers in it with different cleaning solutions (although it may be worth mentioning that putting volatile solvents in an ultrasonic can sometimes cause them to ignite).

I bought a walker ultrasonic because it was made in the UK,It only lasted 2 years partly down to myself but also partly not http://www.walkerelectronics.co.uk/

I have had my Bandolin Sonorex RK100 ultrasonic for over 20 years now and it still works perfectly.

James

Ive got the same one as Carol and it does the job but if you can find one at a reasonable price it's worth trying to get one that you can drain from the bottom rather than tip it out from the top. As you do a lot of small stone setting its a handy thing to have if any loose little stones get vibrated out and it's easier to drain through a coffee filter

I have the same one as Carole too, has worked well for past 12 months or so. Biggest drawback is having to change water by tipping over the top, with the risk of spills/drips getting near power cable access point.

The bottom drain does sound more than a bit useful. The Elma I'm looking at has that... A lid & a basket seem to be extra though.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    The bottom drain does sound more than a bit useful. The Elma I'm looking at has that... A lid & a basket seem to be extra though.
    I rarely use a basket in my ultrasonic, I use a method shown to me by an old Cartier polisher, he just had a square wood stick which rested across the top of the ultrasonic pan and he used S shaped pieces of copper, like meat hooks, to hang the polished items in the middle of the ultrasonic's cleaning liquid, suspended on the strip of wood, hanging like they would do in a plating vat. Also another tip he taught me was to do the same hanging method in a tub of Polyclens to dissolve some of any remaining polish blocked areas before using the ultrasonic.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I rarely use a basket in my ultrasonic, I use a method shown to me by an old Cartier polisher, he just had a square wood stick which rested across the top of the ultrasonic pan and he used S shaped pieces of copper, like meat hooks, to hang the polished items in the middle of the ultrasonic's cleaning liquid, suspended on the strip of wood, hanging like they would do in a plating vat.
    James
    When i used to do this full time as a job we used something similar except instead of the wood stick it was a thick piece of wire bent into zigzags which went across the top of the ultrasonic with paper clips bent into S shapes hanging off.

I was always given to understand when using an ultrasonic that you need to keep the items separate from each other and not sitting on the bottom of a metal basket together otherwise they could end up getting scratched bouncing against each other with the vibration.

Mine came with a basket but I don't use it