Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ultrasonics

Linked to my post about cleaning Luxi off, I think it's time I had a proper ultrasonic. Hitherto, I've been using one of the cheap domestic ones, but the lack of power and lack of heater (and the fact that it's actually getting a fair bit of use now) means it's probably time to upgrade.

Is there any point looking at anything but Elma?

I did consider a steam cleaner, but an ultrasonic probably suits me better for now.

Ive got this one http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-AJZ8

The quality isn't great but it does work quite well, though it takes a while to warm up. If I forget to switch it on to warm up, I normally top it up from the kettle.

That's quite a bit cheaper than the Elmas! One of the things that attracts me to the Elmas (in a purely platonic way) is the availability of spares. I also like the idea of being able to plonk beakers in it with different cleaning solutions (although it may be worth mentioning that putting volatile solvents in an ultrasonic can sometimes cause them to ignite).

I bought a walker ultrasonic because it was made in the UK,It only lasted 2 years partly down to myself but also partly not http://www.walkerelectronics.co.uk/

I have had my Bandolin Sonorex RK100 ultrasonic for over 20 years now and it still works perfectly.

James

Ive got the same one as Carol and it does the job but if you can find one at a reasonable price it's worth trying to get one that you can drain from the bottom rather than tip it out from the top. As you do a lot of small stone setting its a handy thing to have if any loose little stones get vibrated out and it's easier to drain through a coffee filter

I use "s" bits of electrical wire hanging from a stick also.
    Plus I have one of those tea strainer balls for cleaning loose stones of lots of earrings if needed.

Definitely sounds like the way forward; I might go for a basket for cleaning of non-jewellery items though.
    Think it's going to be an Elma.

I bought a cheapish (£20) Ultrasonic about three months ago and used it once. In the process of cleaning two rings, I put in just water the first time, then tried adding Household Amonnia to it and that didnt work either, so I now have yet another piece of useless equipment taking up valuable space. I expected it to be brilliant as people on the forum have said how good they are. My tumbler however is brilliant and I dont know what I would do without it.

My cheaper one has done well, but the volume of stuff now going through means it's less suitable. It cleans, but it's slow & I have to keep refilling it with hot water (and a drop of detergent).
    The Elma that arrived today (ordered yesterday afternoon) won't suffer from that.

My tumbler sees very little use, I prefer the finish that wheels & compounds give. I'm also starting to see my using 3M wheels less, which is surprising.