Thread: ARGGGGGGG!! (Not happy)

Default ARGGGGGGG!! (Not happy)

<mutter, scream, swear>

Paraphrase "I want to make kids wooden toys with a laser cutter so I'm going to install one in my living room"

what part of "You will end up killing somebody or getting busted by TS / HSE" is that hard to understand...

I despair!! I really do, why is making £50 a week extra so much more important than the safety of those around them...Are Etsy really that lax they don't check the products that are sold on there for legality or safety or even that the makers have the slightest clue about what they are doing!!!

<I need to go and kick something>

Dave

Peter H will know what I'm on about

Etsy don't give a monkey's.

Perhaps picking something that has a nice smelling smoke...? Besides, as ne fule noes, you want a waterjet in the lounge, not a laser.

so a laser cutter in a living room isn't a good idea? Damn.

I don't think it's Etsy's responsibility to police how maker's produce their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    so a laser cutter in a living room isn't a good idea? Damn.
    Meh. So-so at best. Power requirements and fume extraction could be troublesome, but apart from that...

I don't think it's Etsy's responsibility to police how maker's produce their stuff.
    Nope, but given they don't police mass-produced imported stuff, there's no reasonable expectation that anything else is going to be policed either.

True but baby toys made from potentially toxic material that presents a choking hazard as well as not being CE marked probably is I'd guess they use the "but we are just a venue" excuse.

Power requirements and fume extraction could be troublesome
    It's the 34 thousand volts they use and kids under the age of 5 in the same room that worries me

best wishes

Dave

At what point does a toy need a CE marking? If we're talking a mass-produced Action Man, then fine - but how about a hand-crafted rocking horse?

That said, the process of CE marking seems to be another bureaucratic nonsense from what I've seen: If there's no Notified Body, you just decide it is conformant, make up a file and slap the China Export mark on it...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Meh. So-so at best. Power requirements and fume extraction could be troublesome, but apart from that...

Nope, but given they don't police mass-produced imported stuff, there's no reasonable expectation that anything else is going to be policed either.
    I wasn't being serious about laser cutting in the living room

and no, the amount of crap that is sold on etsy makes the heart sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    True but baby toys made from potentially toxic material that presents a choking hazard as well as not being CE marked probably is I'd guess they use the "but we are just a venue" excuse.

I was thinking about the fact that it was dangerous for manufacturers, or at least that was the gist I got from your post.

I'm not sure what the legal position would be on etsy or ebay or whoever selling stuff that was actually dangerous given they all bang on about it being a 'venue', but there ought to be some kind of moral responsibility.

Hiya Peter,

At what point does a toy need a CE marking?
    At first redistribution by the noted manufacturer, they also have to have the noted manufacturers contact details on them.(as well as compliance with cylinder choking tests depending on age)

but how about a hand-crafted rocking horse
    Surprisingly enough the same laws apply if they are sold by reason of business (for profit) directed at Children, A while ago I designed some intricate laser cut dolls houses, once I had a working prototype I contacted Trading Standards to ask if there was anything at all they would like to see as well as any legal requirements to sell them for Children (legally people under 14) the list was almost endless including a warning "May contain nuts" on some of the wooden components.
    In the end even though I could get compliance I couldn't morally justify to myself that it would be totally safe so didn't proceed with the entire project.

the amount of crap that is sold on etsy makes the heart sink.
    I'm beginning to see that Liz, it's quite frightening what some people deem as "safe"

I was thinking about the fact that it was dangerous for manufacturers, or at least that was the gist I got from your post.
    It was, I was getting exasperated with a particular individual who was asking a load of questions looking for specific answers, when those answers weren't forthcoming the person simply ignored the advice they didn't like. It's something I feel very strongly about with every atom of my being, I truly believe the children MUST be protected by all means necessary and if that shuts down a few unscrupulous companies...so be it.

Strangely enough, Children's jewellery isn't covered by the same acts as it has an exemption to the choking hazard requirements and toxicology reports.

Source is here https://www.gov.uk/toy-manufacturers...sponsibilities

best wishes

Dave