Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearl ring

Default Pearl ring

I made this one for myself. Silver and fused gold and black button pearl which actually shines a real metallic gold from some anglesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	my deep ring.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	4842
    It is a bit rough around the edges but it is made for me and to try out the look.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

nice! looks quite big!

I like that.
    I have been thinking about making a similar but plainer (meaning easier, requiring less skill) one.
    One of the things that has stopped me is I don't know how to secure the pearl.
    Can I ask how you have done that.
    Cheers.

IK use a cup and peg (an earring in fact) Drill a 1mm hole through the ring, then enlarge it for a smidge on the outside with a 2mm or even 3mm bit to countersink the cup a bit, then solder from the inside. snip off the stem of the earring and file smooth. (like these http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/produc...oducts_id=3089)
    Took me a while to come up with that, I faffed around with just a spike for a while and all sorts then suddenly realised the easy way to do it.
    Use two part epoxy to secure

Yes, it is quite big but I have enormous hands
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Perfect explanation - thanks.
    On another note, I was about to buy some devcon epoxy from cookson when I noticed the carriage shot up from two quid odd to eleven quid.
    Can't believe RM call that hazardous, must be a LQ exemption there.
    Got some for less from ebay in the end with free carriage.
    Now someone is going to tell me it's fake :-)

I use the two part epoxy in the two hypos for ease of accurate mixing. I get it from the local hardware shop.
    The secret with this - and this is another one it has taken me years to get to - is to place the two plungers flat ont he bench top and gently press down to get the two glues to come out. You can see they are coming out evenly and you can control the amounts perfectly (even pressing down by hand on the joint plunger can give unequal amounts))
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

That's a really splendid ring Wendy, despite the 'rough edges', which I think enhance the organic look. How durable is a pearl like that in a ring? Are they Freely available?

One thing that happens to me:
    Having put the glue in the post hole, usually with the end of a saw blade and pushed it onto its post, it tries to pop off again, due to back pressure of trapped air. As a result I have to hold it in place until the glue stiffens up. Being impatient that means I use 5 minute Devcon Epoxy.I shall try your tip on how to dispense the glue evenly, as I'm forever removing some to even it up.

Another thing: Sometimes I get an earring that's been damaged and have to re-make it. I found that holding the pearl with a wetted cloth and keeping a tension on the ear post with pliers, you can carefully apply heat to the post so that quite quickly the glue softens and the pearl comes off.

Regards, Dennis.

Thank you Dennis
    Do you mean is the pearl freely available..yes, is the ring..not so yes as there's only me to do the making on top of everything else
    The pearl would be very durable with reasonable wear. Pearls can take thumps and bumps but will scratch if they encounter something sharp.
    Try snipping a bit of a point onto the post. I cadged some old dental instruments from my dentist, they are brill for all sorts of poking and glue mixing and applying, It might also be that you are fitting a .7mm drill hole onto a .7mm post which will drap air. I often drill it out to 1mm and then no popping off. You could just sort of wiggle the pearl around a bit and up and down to clear the air too - make sure the drill hole is deep enough
    My hardware store epoxy is 5 min too.
    Sometimes with bought in pearls iimported from China the glue they use is so weedy that you can just twist the pearl off .
    epoxy can be dissolved with something called 'attack' which is made in the USA. I keep meaning to get some
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    epoxy can be dissolved with something called 'attack' which is made in the USA. I keep meaning to get some
    Interesting stuff. dimethylformamide and dichloromethane according to the MSDS; usual requirements on ventilation, gloves etc. Epoxies don't do very well when they're warmed with a heatgun, it's how I usually remove things that are glued that I don't want to be.

dichloromethane
    Always makes me giggle They are both Cat 3 Carcinogens, along with

Chlorinated Drinking Water
    Caffeine
    Fluorescent Lighting
    Magnetic Fields
    Static Electricity

and Paracetemol

Wouldn't think it though looking at the HazChem warnings on the containers next to me, they both read like some evil chemical weapon.

best wishes

Dave