Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ring stretchers

Agree totally Dennis

I was thinking more of the original item (the tube mandrel,...I mean ring stretcher) the thought of murdering a piece of craftsmanship with such a tool would give me the shivers

I understand there may be budget constraints on any business and cheaper tools often have to make do (or can be modified to make do) but my Late Father taught me from a young age when trying something new or technical "don't spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar" and "shortcuts are justification used by those wishing to leave bits out".

I read round these forums as a new guy and see the things you people make, pretty much all the time my jaw drops with envy at such skill, such attention to detail and crafstmanship then I see something like that far eastern made abomination at the top of the page and have this gut feeling that such items shouldn't even exist let alone be offered to Artists like yourselves.
    To have even 10% of the skill you guys have is something I can only wish for without any real hope of gaining.

best wishes

Dave

So why not make a start, Steve? You're already an experienced metal worker and there will be lots of designs lurking in your subconscious. You will surprise yourself.

Here is the first thing I ever made, scanned in from a print dated April '94. The teacher handed me a piece of brass and said: draw a design and make a ring. It is always in my toolbox for luck. Joining a class to learn the basics is highly recommended though, as it saves too many futile experiments. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan of first ring.jpg