Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best polishing medium?

Default Best polishing medium?

I use a hand held dremel flexi fella with felt points or mops to polish. I've always used traditional tripoli and rouge. Would love to know yor recommendations for the best compounds (I mostly work in silver)

Tripoli and rouge works fine for me! one tip is to use a little parrafin oil to dampen the swansdown soft rouge mop before adding the rouge. I just use a pencil size stick, dip it in a jamjar of parrafin oil and wipe it across the spinning mop.

James

I too use a dremel with flexshaft attachment but I would very much like to get a proper polishing motor soon! I regularly use tripoli and rouge and find them brilliant but I quite often use less traditional methods of finishing such as radial discs or eveflex rubber cylinders. Both of these different products work brilliantly and I can always get a high polish, I always use rouge with a soft wool pendant wheel as a final polish though. There are people that swear by other polishing compounds but these are my go to products

I have never used Tripoli or Rouge, but can highly recommend Luxi compounds. Its the bees knees and water based, so good for my lungs and the environment. I use the blue for a prepolish and the white for a final polish. It is expensive but IMO its worth the extra cost. http://www.hewitt-impex.co.uk/luxi.htm
    Jules

I don't use compounds at all, but use a tumbler or go the route outlined by Emily. I can also testify that many of our members like Jules, praise Luxi products as being more user friendly than the oil based compounds. Dennis.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lu...w=1280&bih=697
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-04-2013 at 04:04 PM.

thanks all. I do use my trusty tumbler too :-)

Chamois mops for flexshaft polishing seem to work well for me.

I use a variety of things but on my bench polisher I always use Luxi blue and white. It's so much cleaner than tripoli and rouge and I'd never use them again. No longer do I have red smears down my face at the end of the day.

I've just given in and bought some Luxi from Cooksons to try (well, the freepost ending tonight helps...). The tripoli I've been using I've had for years and I'm not convinced it is adhering to the mops as well as it used to; switching to a water-soluble polish was very appealing.

I see BIAD are running their polishing course again this year - it's of interest, but given I've spent quite a chunk on training this year already I'll have to mull that as an idea.

I've wanted to try out some Luxi compounds for ages now. I might finally give in and order some soon but right now I'm in a grump with Cooksons because they still haven't despatched two very important orders that I ordered and paid for on Thursday which has left me in a BIG pickle

Do many other suppliers stock it too? I might just order the white one to begin with. Anything to prevent that 'just finished a hard days work down the mines' look is good for me! Rouge really does get in some unmentionable places...