Thread: How long is long?

Default How long is long?

My husband told me yesterday that it has been too long since I'm learning jewelry making, and he did not see any piece I sold. It was told in kind of joking way, but I took it seriously. Money is not the issue here, more like I lost my perspective according to him. I strongly disagree, because I'm confident with every new day.

I pulled my records, the first studio purchase was September,10, 2012. Since that time I'm teaching myself and practicing of course. I told him before I start that my timing to sales is set- one year, and I'm perfectly in my timing. That I pick up any hobby fast, but jewelry making is not hobby, and I have to be prepared to run business as much as possible since I'm the only one in this.
    I knew that end of the year will be busy with other things as well, between few trips, all Christmass madness, big gardening renovation (guess who did that ), and we got very nasty flu in addition. Not mentioning that there are so many aspects to learn, I even don't know yet where is my "specialty", I want to try everything possible and hopefully one day to come out with my signature style, and then I'm ready to sell "myself".

I'm just wondering is he right? Or me? How long it takes to be proficient to start selling? I'm not talking about making something "cute" for friends and family, I can do that right now. I'm talking about go on market.

eta: He saw another book arrived yesterday, this time it's about metal clay, and the metal clay arrived as well. And that alone is totally new territory I want to study as well. He told that I'm too long in buying mode. Perhaps, he is a little upset that I don't accept his financial help on it, and do everything on my own (just guessing here).
    Last edited by SilverBouillon; 08-03-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Hi Lana

I read this with great interest - I've been learning silversmithing one and off for about 12 months now and I've only just launched my site to sell, prior to that I've been selling either directly to close friends or ending up with a stockpile of jewellery which I made because I wanted to try different techniques.

In terms of how long is too long, I guess a key factor is whether you're running this as your sole income or not. I work full time in an office (soul destroying but it pays Cookson's invoices!) and try to fit jewellery making in whatever spare time I have - so at the moment, I don't have the time I'd like to learn new skills, build on what I've already learnt and also devote an awful lot of time to my site therefore I know I'm nowhere near as profitable as I could be. It can be difficult when you want to try and find what your niche is as well - the main lesson which i've learnt over the last 12 months is to take the time perfecting one technique before moving to the next (I must keep reminding myself of that though as have far too an inquisitive mind!). I've reached a point where I could either keep waiting until I find what I think my niche is or start selling the pieces I have already made to help fund learning new areas

It would be lovely to see the jewellery you have made already

Quote Originally Posted by louisella76 View Post
    In terms of how long is too long, I guess a key factor is whether you're running this as your sole income or not. I work full time in an office (soul destroying but it pays Cookson's invoices!) and try to fit jewellery making in whatever spare time I have - so at the moment, I don't have the time I'd like to learn new skills, build on what I've already learnt and also devote an awful lot of time to my site therefore I know I'm nowhere near as profitable as I could be.
    Sarah,
    I do have luxury not to work, and I am really thankful that I don't need to run corporate race now. But here is another drawback: if you are home, that means you are not working and available any time for anything. I need to change it.
    From another side, I also have luxury to learn my way without financial pressure to go work for someone else, and I use this to learn many aspects not concentrating on one only. It does take time. I set one year, and bought silver for about 6 month, and follow my plan so far.

Why my husband does not understand it, I'm surprised. He told me stay focused. I'm focused! More than anything. There are so many things to learn. How can I come out with designing freedom knowing only little? Yes, after practicing stone setting and having a bunch of finished designs to sell I will do it because at the some point I need replacement of materials. It will be about 3 month from here, not less.

He asked me why I did not buy all the things ones, and need more now. Because I had no idea what I need! I'm getting into understanding, and I'm a bit mad that I spent money on things I don't need now. It would be easy to go to school of course, but that's what I can not afford.

It would be lovely to see the jewellery you have made already
    I don't like what I make. At the moment I don't like anything. I can do better.

I started about 3 or 4 years ago but was working full time (and then some!) so had little time to set aside. As I'm now studying full time with an expectation of 48 hours work per week minimum, the jewellery is really taking a back seat in terms of me promoting myself, but I'm using the time to plan for a series of designs for when I've finished my education. Then I'm going to go all out on the self promotion and hopefully be able to derive some kind of income to make the making of it sustainable. So for me, it's a long time plan, but I can be patient!

September 2012? thats almost yesterday..he is abit impatient
    Learning is something that never stops.
    If your threading beads & twisting wire, you`ll get the hang of that faster than intricate saw piercing platinum backholes & galleries or channel setting emeralds...
    Enjoy the journey & keep it simple while learning to sell.

There is no straight answer to this..once you can make whatever you want, fix problems, or better still see potential ones & avoid them...without looking stuff up in a book then you know you have learnt well.

There is a huge difference between being able to do something "kind of" & mastering it.

Keep at it & do stuff at your own pace.

I would say, don`t spread yourself too thin on too many areas & fully understand all the theory of something as that will help loads & save alot of trial & error.

It's taken me about 15 years and I still have a lot to learn. That's what I love about jewellery making - I'll never know it all and there will always be more to strive for. Just let your enthusiasm carry you through and before you know where you are you'll have a thriving business.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I would say, don`t spread yourself too thin on too many areas & fully understand all the theory of something as that will help loads & save alot of trial & error.
    Perhaps, my husband meant the same telling about focusing. The one thing he does not understand that is the bunch of different aspects, many in one thing to make.

I'm glad you mentioned beading. Friend of mine used to do that, I got inspired, then shortly she and I were on craft fairs. It was easy, and it was kind of hobby we both dropped later on. She turned into serious photography (and she really good on it), I turned into fiber art. Then I accidentally opened my old box with beads to refresh my necklace and got lost in my old time dream to do real jewelry. That I always wanted to do, but never had a chance before.

Anyway, I planned to practice etching tonight, but now I'm designing a necklace from start to finish just to show him that I don't waste my time. He wants to see something? Fine. I always can melt it later

eta: beading of course, not bidding. Too much ebay recently
    Last edited by SilverBouillon; 08-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.

medusa, caroleallen

Thank you for your stories. It helps to keep my ground. I'm right, he is wrong

Your right, some things can take many different aspects to make..all of which need to be learnt first.
    You can make some very nice simple stuff & work up gradually.
    You'll do fine, just don't bite off more than you can chew & don't feel pressurised by anyone.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    You'll do fine, just don't bite off more than you can chew & don't feel pressurised by anyone.
    Yes, thank you. I finally relaxed, take all the "learning" pieces and finish them piece by piece. Not too much designing, just utilize all scrap. I found it even exciting. Argentium silver is a pain to solder fine parts.
    Plus, burs are arriving this Thursday, it will be even more fun with stone setting.