Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting charges

Default Setting charges

I have a favour to ask... Never having actually had any stones set, I don't know what the current charges are like. Could I be really cheeky and ask what people are being charged for the service?
    (Yes, I'm trying to sort a pricing structure; at the moment I can't really do it using my usual methods cos I'm slower than I ought to be - partly through trying to be a ruddy perfectionist - so I need some benchmarks)
    PM is fine if people prefer!
    TIA

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

ooooh, excellent question and well done for getting that far.

can't wait to see what comes up

I'll give my setter a call tomorrow. My bills usually arrive with everything added together (the stone / setting / engraving, etc) & it's been a while since I asked for a breakdown

Hi. Apologies for the delay.
    Setting a 1.5 pt diamond into a ring / pendant / charm is currently £15. This is price of the stone & the setting.
    The example below was a yellow sapphire he set into an order for Christmas - sorry for the lousy photo.

I only ever get 1 or 2 stones set into things. I'd imagine the cost might go down if you were having loads set?
    I've had other birthstones set locally for about £8, but to be honest, I stick with my regular guy because his work is flawless. I've been using him for years & he's super reliable (& very very busy, which I take as a good sign).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	5569

I would love to get any recommendations for setters. I know it is a cheeky ask.

Fantastic, thank you - that'll go into my deliberations.

Time costs are in part setup/teardown for the job - setting 10 stones in 1 ring takes a lot less time than 10 stones in 10 rings.

Inboxed you sweetie. x

Peter - All of my stuff is similar to the above. I send off batches of half a dozen items at a time that each need only one or two stones. So I'd imagine a lot of the cost is indeed the set-up charge.
    The price seems to go down for microsetting, but as I don't ever get this sort of thing done, it's probably a bit cheeky to ask.

The assumption with microsetting is that there'll be a lot more stones as a result - 1 stone gets a bit lost. 100 starts to look more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Hi. Apologies for the delay.
    Setting a 1.5 pt diamond into a ring / pendant / charm is currently £15. This is price of the stone & the setting.
    I'm confused, the setter provides the stone and sets it for £15? that seems insanely cheap! Actually it seems cheap to me even if it were just the setting cost. How much prep do you have to do up front?