Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a silver ball pendant

Quite beautiful...............and for what it's worth,....I prefer the smaller balls......xx

Well done Didi, now what's next on the workbench?
    For a suggestion, Easter is coming so how about trying the same system and make an Easter Egg pendant.

James

That's lovely Didi, a labourious process but well worth the final result. I too prefer the smaller ball.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Ahhh. James. That IS a thought. How on earth do I do egg shaped doming? I can see how to do the round end but how can I do the pointy end?
    Didi

I am afraid I do not know how much training you have had Didi. But I make my egg halves by either using punches or by metal spinning on my lathe. If making small eggs I use a brass punch that I shaped on a lathe to shape the pointy half of an egg and a doming punch for the semi circular half. I use a lead block to either press or hammer the shapes into. I have mentioned lead blocks on this forum before as I make my own and use them for many shaping processes, I have three lead blocks and when they are marked a lot I just re melt them into new ingots, using a large torch and a mold ingot. I also use these ingots for just hammering shapes like leaves and flowers. I have re posted some photos, sorry if you have already seen them.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 Lead block.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	4400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Lead block&Ingot mold.jpg 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	4401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29 Shaping leaf front point.jpg 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	4402

Hi James. Very little training I'm afraid. (1three day course on making a ring). However I have a habit of not giving up, otherwise known as , sheer bloody mindedness. I love a challenge. Spinning isn't an option so , looks like I'm going to have to find some lead. Do you think I could use different sizes of doming punches to get the pointy end? Thankyou for your support
    Didi

Hi Didi, I don't think different size doming punches would do. If you do get round to making a lead block you could make your own punches by filing rods to shape.
    I buy lengths of silver steel rod and brass for making punches and they are also useful for making jump rings. They are not expensive, I buy them from this company;
    silversteel ; https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-me...l/cat_141.html
    brass rod ; https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-me...s/cat_118.html

The rods are sold in 13 inch lengths so each rod can be used to make three punches. If you do buy some, get a selection of sizes as they will last a lifetime and you will find many uses for them, such as for winding jump rings as I mentioned before.

Good luck
    James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 24-02-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Hi James
    I might be on to a winner here. My other half has a load of lead flashing he is prepared to donate to the cause, I could get a cake tin to melt it in couldn't I ? If I melt it outside there wouldn't be a problem with fumes would there? Whats the advantage of silver steel over Brass? Oh, so many questions

Thank you
    Didi

I still wouldn't want to breathe the fumes from melting lead, but it's a lot safer outdoors than in. A cake tin is adequate - although it'll release the lead better if there's a slight draft on whatever mould you use and, in the case of baking tins, there's a film of rust over the surface.

Silver steel is much, much harder than brass - and it can be hardened & tempered.

Got an old loaf tin The sides slope out from the base if thats what you mean by 'draft' . Im thinking, bottom of the garden with my back to the wind!
    Im getting a bit worried about 'steel is much much harder than brass' , Presumably I could still cut it with a hacksaw?
    Didi