Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tube setting cabochons

You would have been proud of me Wallace if you had seen the ring I made, not for the finish on it but what I managed to do with tinsy wincy stones, tube set into the ends of 1.50mm wire. Actually drilled out the wire, and set the stone into the drill hole. Just to think that only a few months ago I was struggling with 5mm stones, because they seemed so small at the time, now 1mm diamonds are the thing to use. Lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-10 18.59.44.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	4451
    Not very good at loading pictures, I hope its the right one !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    You would have been proud of me Wallace if you had seen the ring I made, not for the finish on it but what I managed to do with tinsy wincy stones, tube set into the ends of 1.50mm wire. Actually drilled out the wire, and set the stone into the drill hole. Just to think that only a few months ago I was struggling with 5mm stones, because they seemed so small at the time, now 1mm diamonds are the thing to use. Lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-10 18.59.44.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	4451
    Not very good at loading pictures, I hope its the right one !!!!!
    Gosh, very intricate work! It looks lovely

Its not bragging about doing a ring with small stones, its quite a milestone for me from celebrating the 4th anniversary of losing an eye in a cataract op that went wrong and bumping into doors etc, that I thought were further away than they were, and pouring a kettle of water onto the worktop instead of in the mug etc., to learning how to make silver jewellery and setting little stones like this. For me its a massive achievement. Sorry dont mean to sound sorry for myself, but there are some very clever people on this site that are probably thinking what a twerp, what is she banging on about, but for me 4 years ago, it was something I wouldnt have even considered possible.

P.S **** happens, so get on with it attitude!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Gosh, very intricate work! It looks lovely

I totally understand what you mean, it really is an achievement. I have slightly different problems but I know how difficult it can be trying to deal with a health/physical problems, it really does feel amazing when you achieve something. Your ring really does look lovely. Even for someone with perfect vision, it is not an easy task trying to set tiny stones in the end of wire! You have every reason to be proud of yourself

I have some teeny tiny (0.8mm - 1.4mm) beautiful spessartites that I'm going to try and tackle today. I've set quite a few tiny diamonds before but never garnet so it'll be a challenge.

Actually, I've just dropped a 6.0mm cabochon Pat and spent half an hour looking for it. Could you come round and find it for me?

Talking about dropping things - everytime I drop something I instinctively bend forward to pick it up and find the bench peg impaled in my forehead - every time!!! - how long will it take till I learn.

I keep a very strong torch beside my desk as it butts up against a wall under a window, and if you drop a tiny diamond or clear stone, on a pale Dijon coloured carpet, unless it lands with the shiny side towards you, you dont stand a chance. If I lose something I am afraid its down onto all fours, and if I cant find it - call daughter, or sit down with a coffee and have another look later. Its not that I am proud of doing that ring, because the finish could be improved quite a lot, its the fact that I can, "how well" is beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I keep a very strong torch beside my desk as it butts up against a wall under a window, and if you drop a tiny diamond or clear stone, on a pale Dijon coloured carpet, unless it lands with the shiny side towards you, you dont stand a chance.
    I bought this black flat-weave cotton rug from Ikea to protect the carpet in my rented flat from bit of hot metal, but I've found that it also makes little dropped bits of silver etc. much easier to spot. All except that half jump-ring that jumped out of the tweezers last week, which I don't expect to find ever!

I would be afraid that the black may seep into the carpet, I bought a red once once and that left a red mark on a pale vinyl floor, so I may be inclined to put something between the black and the carpet if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by eirish View Post
    I bought this black flat-weave cotton rug from Ikea to protect the carpet in my rented flat from bit of hot metal, but I've found that it also makes little dropped bits of silver etc. much easier to spot. All except that half jump-ring that jumped out of the tweezers last week, which I don't expect to find ever!

Respect. My eyes aren't that good and I struggle with tiny stones. I do have 2 of them though (eyes that is), so I fully appreciate how much more difficult it is for you Pat.