Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashes Into Diamonds.

Default Ashes Into Diamonds.

I recently admired the locket made by caroleallen to contain a loved one’s ashes. Soon after that she posted a thread about setting a diamond wearing her new magnifiers and together they sparked off an association of ideas.

There are companies that offer to convert a the carbon from a loved one’s ashes into lab created diamonds, at a cost. It seems a romantic idea to me, but I wonder how much unburnt carbon cremation ashes might contain and being suspicious by nature, how authentic the ashes and the resulting diamond would be. What do you think? Dennis.

http://www.lifegem-uk.com/default.as...FaTKtAodDWAAgQ

Cremation is a fairly inefficient process, there's a lot left over.

I can go into more detail if required...

Whether the ashes are the correct ones supplied to the lab is a separate matter, but I understand Lifegem are quite hot on traceability of the carbon source.

There's been murmurs about this being used for horse owners too - you can take mane or tail hair & have it turned into diamond while the animal is still with you, no need for ashes.

Added - just seen the pricing... £2.3k per stone for melee. Yes, I know it's an expensive process, but I hadn't realised *quite* how expensive!
    Last edited by ps_bond; 15-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Now that I know most of you are back, I have resurrected this necropst because I can’t believe that only ps_bond would have something to say about this subject. Also my apologies to Carole for taking her name in vain.

If no one else replies, I’ll eat one of those new-fangled horse burgers. Dennis.

Blimey, those sparklers are expensive. I think my chap got a much better deal with the necklace.

A slightly less expensive alternative for using the cremains (other than encapsulating them) is http://www.lampworkbeads.co.uk/page19.htm

I think I'll stick to my old style diamonds - the LifeGem ones don't look big enough for me

Have heard that they are very yellow in colour too.

Yellow is the cheapest process - looks like they go up to white (but I suspect not D's).

as much as I love most of my family, no way would I spend two grand so I could wear them on a ring when I could get a much bigger and better diamond for the same price. I'm sure they'd understand.

on a more serious note, this kind of stuff just reeks of exploiting people financially when they're vulnerable.

Personally I think the whole idea is gruesome.

Hmmm. A wee bit creepy I think.