Thread: foldforming

Default foldforming

I have been trying to make a spiral with fold forming. I've folded a 6 x 6cm peice of silver and cut it to have a curved edge. I've annealed between each hammering and so far have annealed about 8 or 9 times. I have hardly any curve happening. How many times might I have to anneal and forge before I get the desired effect?

Sorry I have never really taken up fold forming, although I have watched lots. You might get a clue as to what is going wrong here: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf...w=1280&bih=650.

Also, if you have The Workbench Guide To Jewellery Techniques, by Anastasia Young, there are step by steps which might help.

I do remember that with silver as opposed to copper, you are advised not to pickle until you are finished, to avoid it sticking together. Dennis.

are you hammering evenly across the width of the piece? To curve it you need to concentrate on the side that you want to stretch - presumably the folded side. How much hammering and how hard?

plenty of examples on youtube

Default foldforming

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    are you hammering evenly across the width of the piece? To curve it you need to concentrate on the side that you want to stretch - presumably the folded side. How much hammering and how hard?

plenty of examples on youtube
    Thanks everybody - back to the workbench

I've recently been trying this technique getting the curve in does seem to take me a lot longer than the 'pro's' on the youtube videos I've watched though I've only practiced on copper so far and made a few leaves.. here are my first attempts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	3927

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	3928

Name:	P1020371.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	3929

I'd like to create a spiral next, how did your's turn out?

Rachael x
    Last edited by solitarysmagick; 13-10-2012 at 08:05 PM.

I Like those - i've been experimenting with this technique too in Copper with varying results. Just attempting my first try with silver. will posts pics when I can remember where I put my camera!

Sonia

You need to enter those in this month's competition - they're lovely.