Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deft Clay Casting

Default Deft Clay Casting

Well this is not my usual style, but my son wanted a skull ring.

This is the first time i have done Delft Clay Casting, and I have to admit it took me three attempts to get it to work. (the recesses in the mold key breaking when the model was removed) But is is so much fun i recommend it to any/every one.

The finish on the model was a but ruff, and this shows in the casting, but so the the fine details of the teeth.

Now sapphire eyes i think ?

Julian

Not my cup of tea either Julian but beautifully done and as you say has captured fine detail remarkably.

I will be interested to see how you set the stones.............. I can almost imagine a form of flush setting might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Not my cup of tea either Julian but beautifully done and as you say has captured fine detail remarkably.

I will be interested to see how you set the stones.............. I can almost imagine a form of flush setting might work.

As you say I plan flush/ bred set in a receeses , challenge but inspite of the style, should be fun.

I treat as "delivering what the customer wants"

J

Very well done Julian. I've got delft clay but never got around to using it. Must have a go soon.

I seem to remember reading somewhere there is something about using casting grain and mixing in only a small percent of scrap. Is this true, i can remember the percentages. But i suspect this is why i have been having limited success, it does not seem to flow in the mold well.

can anyone remember ?

Julian

When I cast scrap I add in some fine silver casting grain to make sure it stays up to assay quality and I never have trouble with the flow but then that is in cuttle bone I have not tried delft clay it may be different, one thing which certainly stops flow in my casting is if the vents are not sufficient.

I try to use 50% scrap / 50% new grain Its been a while since I tried delft clay but I remember having to make sure the 'funnel' is big enough so it can feed the casting to help it not to cool to quickly so you sould get a more complete fill,I also remember the smell when your poured the metal was nice !

As above, you need far more air vents then you could ever think is required, a really good size funnel is required, and you need far more silver than is required to cast the piece, it is difficult to explain, but you need a good weight of molten silver to push into the clay. Also when you are melting your silver, when you think your silver is moulten enough give it another 30 seconds with the flame!

But for a first time attempt and only 3 goes required to get the skull is quite amazing.

Lesley
    Poor old Les

I had a play with Delft years ago and loved it! I only ever cast simple shapes though - hearts and such - the skull is very impressive!

Youve clearly put some time in with the wax model I presume? Great result and lots of detail and I'm looking forward to making casts with delft myself in the near future.

Nick