Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where can i get silver solder wire in medium or hard please?

Default where can i get silver solder wire in medium or hard please?

Hi all, I have successfully used and love Cooksons silver solder wire that comes in easy and extra easy but they don't stock it in medium or hard. Why would that be please do you know where I could get some? Many thanks

What is wrong with the standard strips of silver solders,each with different widths so that they are easy to tell apart. What is the benefit of silver solder wires?

James

I remember being taught many years ago that you hammered out the solder strips to be nice and thin then cut them up into pallions to use. Mostly now I process a whole strip at once.

I have never used the wire, have always used the strip stuff and though I know it is a divisive issue I also use easy and hard paste, which I find invaluable for certain jobs.

Likewise, Kwant. On the whole, I use solder strip cut into paillons but for tiny fiddly stuff and closing jump rings I use paste. Paste, in my view anyway, is far too expensive to use exclusively, plus I still get a buzz when I see my solder strip melt and work
    Di x

As I understand it the wire solder is fed into seams using the heat of your piece to melt it. I’ve never seen it done, but I think for silver at least you would have to be quite brave to use a harder solder as you might well end up with a puddle of metal. Dennis.

That is why I call my stuff arts and crafts inspired, hammer marks, puddles of metal and scratches included hahahhaha

I wish there was a like button here as there is on Facebook - I like your reply (and your spirit) Kwant ;-)
    Di x

I have recently been learning to "strip solder"...basically using a length of rolled solder (sheet or wire) to solder joins.......mixed results so far......but having seen this undertaken, it surpasses other soldering techniques.................or at least, it would if I could perfect it!!!!!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    I have recently been learning to "strip solder"...basically using a length of rolled solder (sheet or wire) to solder joins.......mixed results so far......but having seen this undertaken, it surpasses other soldering techniques.................or at least, it would if I could perfect it!!!!!
    I have seen a couple of peeps do it that way on Ganoskin and YouTube, but never had much success personally speaking.

I use little pallions and feel the happy face happening when I see the melt. I do melt the pallions into little balls and then place them, but only use hard solder though.

I had to give up the paste - it ended up a bit like my pastry (hard, brittle and not even good enough for a dog's dinner) lol I like hard solder as it doesn't pit - I was given that tip ages ago and can't remember where it came from, but it works for me - however I don't do thin wire filligree things.
    Last edited by Wallace; 09-06-2012 at 12:26 AM.