Thread: Wedding band transformation help

Default Wedding band transformation help

Hi everyone.

I have been asked to redo a gold wedding band as it keeps snapping, it is around 20mm wide with a stamped pattern but very thin (sorry not got pic as yet).
    My customer said he would like it to be thicker, doesn't mind about keeping the same form/design.

Do I melt it down into a wire shape ingot? But I do not have all the facilites for doing so.
    Or
    Cut the band inhalf and solder it onto itself so it is twice the thickness?
    Or
    Something far more sensible someone could advise me?!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ali
    Ali, Lunar Jewels

It sounds as if you can't be entirely sure what it is made of, although you could have it tested. I would suggest he wear it on a thong for old times sake and you offer him a completely new ring. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Thong? Ring? Dennis you are bad :0)

Ali, as many will tell you, don't touch it with a barge pole. What people think is gold turns out to go up in a puff of smoke with the torch on it, diamonds treasured for generations are in fact cocktail sugar from their grannies first date. Unless you made the stuff and know exactly what you are dealing with it can lead to serious disappointments and or fallings out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It sounds as if you can't be entirely sure what it is made of, although you could have it tested. I would suggest he wear it on a thong for old times sake and you offer him a completely new ring. Dennis.
    don't know about you but my thongs cost a fortune. not sure I'd want to cut one up and re-sew it to thread a ring onto it. Plus it might chafe.

Weren't thongs with fake pearls all the rage a few years ago. Since they were fake pearls I avoided them

Thins with pearls? Sounds like kinky gear to me.

Hi Dennis

I have taken your advice and am doing to make a new ring!

Many thanks for your help
    Ali, Lunar Jewels

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Weren't thongs with fake pearls all the rage a few years ago. Since they were fake pearls I avoided them
    Last time i tried to buy fresh water Perls form a Chinese farm they wanted my order in kilos ! maybe we now have a use for them ! I think i found a design http://essentialgearguide.com/2008/1...-g-string-bra/

I sometimes buy in kilos when I need bulk but just as often select individual pearls and strands to make sure I am getting the finest quality. Off to the International gem show in Hong Kong on Friday to do just that - if anyone wants any pearls could they perhaps pm me?