Thread: really fine chain

Question really fine chain

Can anyone offer advise on where I can find really fine chain?
    I generally use snake chains, but have some new designs which require
    really fine chain, preferably trace or curb. The finest I have found on Cooksons
    is the 12/18 trace, which I have used for the prototype, but isn't really fine
    enough. I have a pendant on a curb which was bought for me many years ago,
    which would be perfect, but I don't know how to determine the sizing.

Thanks

J.

Sorry can't help you on this one - I use 12/18 trace for my fine chains - don't think I'd trust anything finer. Maybe someone else will be able to offer advice

Sonia
    x

I like 18/18 plain curb, fine but strong, though it is bugger to get a jump ring through, I think next time I use it I will make end caps for it and solder it.

Thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that. I was struggling to get wire for a jumpring for it too, got down to 0.30mm and it still wouldnt go through easily, so in the end gave up and used a thicker chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    I like 18/18 plain curb, fine but strong, though it is bugger to get a jump ring through, I think next time I use it I will make end caps for it and solder it.

Not sure if you're anywhere near London, but I know Samuel Findings in Hatton Garden do some really fine silver chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I was struggling to get wire for a jumpring for it too, got down to 0.30mm and it still wouldnt go through easily, so in the end gave up and used a thicker chain.
    Or just solder a jump ring onto the end? Forgive me if you have done this already Pat, but use a little surplus solder to close the jump ring, re-flux it and lay it flat on the end of the chain, reheat the jumpring and the two will join. Dennis.

Sorry Dennis, I didnt think of that either, that is also a good idea. Its all these little things that should come naturally to me but they dont, perhaps in time they will, but you and the others have taught me such a lot. Thank you once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Or just solder a jump ring onto the end? Forgive me if you have done this already Pat, but use a little surplus solder to close the jump ring, re-flux it and lay it flat on the end of the chain, reheat the jumpring and the two will join. Dennis.

Well Pat, apprentices spend three years or maybe more at the bench with their bosses breathing down their necks. When they qualify they still always have someone more experienced to turn to. I've been doing this as an amateur for eighteen years and still don't know the half of it. Dennis.

Just out of interest, what do you do with it all, we have just been to another craft show and sold about £70 each so thats another £140 in the pot. I have got three commissions out of it on top, which I have to make, so all in all quite a good day but a bit tiring. I dont know if you read the news that my daughter and I are starting up a shop with another lady who makes denim handbags and does cloth pictures (I am sure there is a name for it but I dont know what it is), we are sharing the shop, rather than being in partnership. Not quite sure how the hours are going to work out as I am retired but my hubby works nights as a lorry driver, so I will have to keep a picture of him by the door so I can recognise him when he comes in. I also have two dogs to walk every day, not quite sure how its all going to work and I am a bit stressed by it at the moment. I expect it will be ok once I get into a routine but it seems like a juggling act at the moment.