Thread: really fine chain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question really fine chain

Can anyone offer advise on where I can find really fine chain?
    I generally use snake chains, but have some new designs which require
    really fine chain, preferably trace or curb. The finest I have found on Cooksons
    is the 12/18 trace, which I have used for the prototype, but isn't really fine
    enough. I have a pendant on a curb which was bought for me many years ago,
    which would be perfect, but I don't know how to determine the sizing.

Thanks

J.

Sorry can't help you on this one - I use 12/18 trace for my fine chains - don't think I'd trust anything finer. Maybe someone else will be able to offer advice

Sonia
    x

I like 18/18 plain curb, fine but strong, though it is bugger to get a jump ring through, I think next time I use it I will make end caps for it and solder it.

Thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that. I was struggling to get wire for a jumpring for it too, got down to 0.30mm and it still wouldnt go through easily, so in the end gave up and used a thicker chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    I like 18/18 plain curb, fine but strong, though it is bugger to get a jump ring through, I think next time I use it I will make end caps for it and solder it.

Not sure if you're anywhere near London, but I know Samuel Findings in Hatton Garden do some really fine silver chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I was struggling to get wire for a jumpring for it too, got down to 0.30mm and it still wouldnt go through easily, so in the end gave up and used a thicker chain.
    Or just solder a jump ring onto the end? Forgive me if you have done this already Pat, but use a little surplus solder to close the jump ring, re-flux it and lay it flat on the end of the chain, reheat the jumpring and the two will join. Dennis.

Sorry Dennis, I didnt think of that either, that is also a good idea. Its all these little things that should come naturally to me but they dont, perhaps in time they will, but you and the others have taught me such a lot. Thank you once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Or just solder a jump ring onto the end? Forgive me if you have done this already Pat, but use a little surplus solder to close the jump ring, re-flux it and lay it flat on the end of the chain, reheat the jumpring and the two will join. Dennis.