Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing hollow spheres?

Default Polishing hollow spheres?

HI guys,

I have made my two domes to complete into sphere ring, one dome is etched all through. How would I go about polishing the ring after I have soldered into a sphere and to the shank? I am aware of steel shot, but the etched through areas in the one dome are not large enough for steel shot to travel through. I have not soldered the sphere yet. I do not intend to patina the inside either.

Thanks

Maz

Even if shot could find its way in, the space would be too confined for any effective polishing, but you would get some shot permanently trapped inside. If you don't want to patinate, and intend to solder the spheres, it looks as if you will have to accept the pickle finish.

The alternative would be to make an inner rim on one hemisphere, and solder two short knobs made from wire opposite each other inside the second. You could then cut grooves into your rim to accept the knobs in bayonet fashion. Tricky but possible, Dennis.

Depending on the size of the sphere etc you would get a nice bright finish from a magnetic pin polisher if the pins would fit inside the pins are 0.3mm X 5mm long typically

Could you solder a rim on the bottom half and bezel set the top bit?

Firstly polish it in a magnetic polisher and then use a steel shot witha small shot.

Don't worry about it nobody is gonna be looking inside the sphere on a ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011  2969.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	3575

Don't even think about putting spheres with holes in steel shot! Grrrr I made these spheres, then polished them with rouge - huge mistake - it all gummed up inside. Then I tried to clean - it out by putting it in steel shot - huge mistake no 2. some of the shot got inside and wouldn't come out. I spent hours shaking and wiggling. After all that - I agree with Kwant - you cant see inside anyway
    Didi

You don't need to shake and wiggle!
    Just use a magnet

As we are now on the subject of trouble shooting, here are a few more ideas:

1.Waxy polishing compounds can easily be removed by a hot solution of soda crystals.
    2.There are also non waxy polishing compounds, which make life easier.
    3. Small pieces can easily be brought to a brilliant shine without any compounds, using radial disks in succession, say red, blue pink, and green, followed by a quick rub with a silver cloth.

If I suspect any dust or water residues, I keep an air duster from Ryman or Maplin, intended for circuits and keyboards, which quickly deals with that. In fact I am so fond of this toy, that I have shortened the plastic tube provided, and inserted about 10mm of smaller silver tubing for accuracy. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    You don't need to shake and wiggle!
    Just use a magnet
    Now why didn't I think of that. George, you're an absolute genius!