Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Fur Bangle!

Default Cat Fur Bangle!

Hi!
    I have been commissioned to make a silver bangle with a cat fur setting! I was thinking of setting the fur in a silver bezel and pouring clear resin over it. Or would clear cold enamel be better? I would prefer to create a dome setting so it would be a tactile piece. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Mari

That's unusual - what's the circumstance? Beloved pet? If you're pouring resin over it, how much like fur is it going to look at the end of it, and can you vacuum it to make sure you've no air bubbles? Is it loose fur, or on skin (at which even I'm starting to be slightly squeamish!).

I've seen horse hair jewellery, there are even companies offering to grow diamonds using hair (or the carbon in it anyway): http://www.celebration-diamonds.com/...om_hair%20.asp was one example found with a quick google; I hadn't seen cat fur used until I searched.

I forgot... I did once make cord out of cat fur. A very fluffy persian I'd just finished grooming left me with a huge ball of loose fur, so I idly started teasing the fur out & twisting it into a thin cord. Ran out at about 1m.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 30-04-2012 at 09:55 AM.

I have made pendants in the past for holding swirls of hair and I used small wrist watch glasses set in bezel settings over the hair, this system would not damage the hair or fur and allows you to arrange the hair or fur in a nice swirl design. For watch glasses see; http://www.watch-batteries.com/mater...ss-Crystal.htm

James

We really don't have enough information to answer this question. Is it loose hair to be imbedded in resin, as described by Peter, in which case you would pour resin into bezels with the fur arranged, or loose hair in a cavity covered by a glass as suggested by James?

The most tactile would be strips or disks on its leather backing, fixed on with strong latex glue, preferably using an anticlastic bangle to protect the fur from wear.
    It all reminds me of this famous teacup: http://www.moma.org/collection/objec...bject_id=80997. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 30-04-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Thank you for your ideas! It is loose hair (not on the skin) I have two colour fur from two cats (orange and brown) the cats have died and the owner wanted two bangles (slightly different) including the two colour fur for her and her daughter (similar idea to the Victorians and their mourning jewellery I suppose) but she did not want the fur to be too obvious! I really like the idea of setting them in a pattern behind the watch glass, the colour or fur won’t be damaged and I can be quite detailed in the way I arrange the fur! Very handy - I think this forum will become quite useful! Diolch / Thank you, Mari

Quote Originally Posted by mari eluned View Post
    I think this forum will become quite useful!
    What, you mean we aren't already?

As you've got fur from 2 to deal with, could you perhaps create cloisons to constrain/contain the fur separate from each other, then set a watch crystal over the top?

Sorry Peter! Of course, I do appreciate all your help!!! It's nice being able to chat about techniques and so on with other jewellers as I work from home and in middle of nowhere!!
    Yes, a silver 'wall' could work
    Baby asleep so better go to the workshop!!

Thanks for the link to that site Peter, now where do I get an umbilical cord from? Coz I just got to have me one of those diamonds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mari eluned View Post
    I really like the idea of setting them in a pattern behind the watch glass,
    Well Mari,
    Watch glass stays beautifully clear, but is difficult for an amateur to cut neatly. Also I had one on a pendant, returned cracked.

So I now use thin plastic, usually from the clear disk that comes in a pack of CDs. It can easily be cut with a saw blade and does not mark too badly, although I would handle it covered with masking tape, while cutting and protect it in the finished work with a rim of metal.

Below is a spider brooch I made like this for a project last year. Regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider Brooch.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 30-04-2012 at 06:25 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

mineral glass worked well for me and seemed to hold well (had some industrial grade diamonds rolling around on the inside). Still looking okay I will see if I can get a pic up at some point if needed. Will have to get it off the person who has it!

Spider made me lose a bit of my cuppa there Dennis. I have a huge problem with them, but it is a beautiful creation.