Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes the laser hallmark has to be asked for specially and I put '3D laser hallmark please' and then specify the height required. The quality is quite sharp, but it might have to be re-pickled if your assay office leaves it black.

I must say I like hallmarks to show and rarely have them less than 2.0mm high. I have also made some images of incremental sizes with my photocopier, so that I can have a preview of what to expect. Dennis.

isn't laser marking double the cost though? and I mean double the initial set fee and then all the rest? I'd like to have larger marks on some stuff I do (I get really pi$$ed off when they use a smaller assay mark than my makers mark!), but it seems like a lot of extra expense.

I never did have my own punch made, so the sponsor's mark always matches, Liz. I have recently renewed my ten year registration, which cost £47.00 inc VAT and the charges are £1.66 per item.
    The snag for me is only that there is a minimum charge of £9.80, so it would be best to send in at least six items at a time. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    isn't laser marking double the cost though?
    Last batch I paid £2 per laser mark and £1 for the Jubilee mark... Unfortunately, they lasered *everything* rather than just the piece that I asked to be lasered (on the hallnote as well as written on the piece). Still waiting for the refund come to think of it.

Thanks for all the replies with the useful information. If I send earrings fro example do I need to get both hallmarked of just one per pair. It would make it double the price to get both done.
    Jane

According to the notes I have in front of me from the Edinburgh Assay office "pairs of earrings and cufflinks should be listed as two single items"

I have only had two packages hallmarked, one was taken up to London as we were staying there for a long weekend. The other was one I sent off to them, just normal hallmarking not laser. In the first one at home before I took it up, I weighed each item and wrote it on the paper supplied by them. However, when they sent it back to us, I found that they had weighed the heaviest item and multiplied it by the number of items. I rang and complained and they immediately sent off a credit note, no problem really, and they were very pleasant and helpful.

In future I will weigh stuff at home, so they have a guideline, as some of my stuff is well over the weight, and some are miniscule earrings. Thats another reason that I dont send stuff under the weight now, and if the chain can be sold separately on a hand made pendant and like me you buy in your chains, take them off because it gets weighed as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    According to the notes I have in front of me from the Edinburgh Assay office "pairs of earrings and cufflinks should be listed as two single items"

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I never did have my own punch made, so the sponsor's mark always matches, Liz. I have recently renewed my ten year registration, which cost £47.00 inc VAT and the charges are £1.66 per item.
    The snag for me is only that there is a minimum charge of £9.80, so it would be best to send in at least six items at a time. Regards, Dennis.
    I don't punch my own stuff, I keep my mark at BAO. The charges I may are a minimum of £15, 16p initial fees (I assume that is to have my makers mark put on) and 33p per item under 25g, 57p over 25g. Plus a packing charge and postage.

Oddly, last time they didn't charge me for the traditional mark and date letter.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Last batch I paid £2 per laser mark and £1 for the Jubilee mark... Unfortunately, they lasered *everything* rather than just the piece that I asked to be lasered (on the hallnote as well as written on the piece). Still waiting for the refund come to think of it.
    was the £2 in addition to the standard marking fees?

Instead of.

hmmm... my charge sheet from BAO says that laser marking is a non-stat additional service and that the "charges are additional to statutory hallmarking charges" but then they also charge between £10-£15 minimum for up to 30 items plus 50p to 60p per item.

For people who are thinking of getting a hallmark, it would be helpful if the assay offices all charged in the same way. That way one could chose to go with an office on the basis of cost effectiveness if one wanted.

Well I have parity much all I need thanks to this thread. The AOL also accepts credit carbs which is a good thing, as I no longer have a UK bank account. The only question is the form says;

"In the United Kingdom authorised to accept Notices, Intimations and Referrals on behalf of the applicant (To be completed by applicants resident outside the UK)."

Any one know what that is ?

Julian