Thread: Where to get Oxygen bottles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where to get Oxygen bottles?

1st question from a Newbie.
    I've just got a Smith Little Torch, and after looking into it a bit I was wondering on the most cost effective way of getting the Oxygen. The Propane's no problem, I've got a bottle from when we had a caravan, and can get that changed at garages and places, but I'm not sure whether to go the BOC route ( with the yearly bottle rental etc), there's an agent here, or try to find the smaller disposable bottles.
    I'm not sure how much I'll be using it, at least to start with.
    Any thoughts on this? and any ideas where to get disposables, or alternatives to BOC? Bearing in mind I'm half in the middle of nowhere Down in North Cornwall.
    Cheers.

If not BOC, then the 2 alternatives that spring to mind are either an oxygen concentrator (non-medical refurb from http://www.tuffnellglass.com/content...centrator.html ) or an exchange/refill deal such as http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/W..._Cylinder.html . The dinky Rothernberger-type bottles are IMO a waste of money - very low pressure and limited runtime.

Not that I use it yet, but I've been mulling the idea for smaller stuff.

Hi Stevie M, welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the Little Torch, but I suspect that the couplings will not automatically fit disposable bottles. I know many people on this forum use the Little Torch with a BOC contract. Up until just recently I used a propane / O2 system that was dedicated to disposable bottles after calculating that my last years spend on O2 alone was over 250.00euros, I opted for the Oxygen Concentrator; it is safer than large O2 bottles and over time more cost effective the initial outlay is about 200.00 GBP, but then only the electicity to run the oxycon. You will find information on this system via this forum, type oxycon or oxygen concentrator in the search tab above.

Good luck!

Lesley
    Poor old Les

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Have you thought about getting an oxycon? It is a retired oxygen concentrating maching. The cost is less over the years and safer as the big badda boom risk is reduced. MizGeorge has the full info on them, and can give more to help you understand. To get an idea you could try Tuffnells or Off Mandrel. Seriously over the years it will pay for itself and only uses a small 2ft footprint.

It runs my Little smith beautifully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie M View Post
    1st question from a Newbie.
    I've just got a Smith Little Torch, and after looking into it a bit I was wondering on the most cost effective way of getting the Oxygen. The Propane's no problem, I've got a bottle from when we had a caravan, and can get that changed at garages and places, but I'm not sure whether to go the BOC route ( with the yearly bottle rental etc), there's an agent here, or try to find the smaller disposable bottles.
    I'm not sure how much I'll be using it, at least to start with.
    Any thoughts on this? and any ideas where to get disposables, or alternatives to BOC? Bearing in mind I'm half in the middle of nowhere Down in North Cornwall.
    Cheers.

Hi Stevie,
    I've had oxygen cyliders from BOC for a couple of years now, BUT my re-furbed oxycon unit arrived from Tuffnels today !!!! I only ordered it yesterday I have a Smiths little torch to run from it, hoping to get it all set up tomorrow!! For info, I had problems with household insurance due to O2 cylinders..................
    Let us know what you decide ;-)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

you will love it

It will need a pre-warm up before each use to get the oxy to build up - but then you are off - I seriously think George is a genious for finding and pointing this out. My soldering, melting and all flame related activities are so more refined... even my lovely Orca torch has not been used for a while.... although any impending power cut may recitify that one! lol

Enjoy the new arrival

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Hi Stevie,
    I've had oxygen cyliders from BOC for a couple of years now, BUT my re-furbed oxycon unit arrived from Tuffnels today !!!! I only ordered it yesterday I have a Smiths little torch to run from it, hoping to get it all set up tomorrow!! For info, I had problems with household insurance due to O2 cylinders..................
    Let us know what you decide ;-)

I was actually about to sell my little torch because I couldn't get oxygen for it (I'm near lands end) but George came to my rescue and soon I should be taking delivery of an oxycon

I haven't had chance to set it up yet, but think I have everything I need and can't wait until the weekend to get it sorted, heehee!!
    Thanks for the tip Wallace, does it take very long??
    xx