Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get Oxygen bottles?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    grrrr those sparker things only come with the kit here in France and they do not sell the flints, idiots. I see I can get the flints on Amazon but sigh postage makes it cheaper to just buy a new sparker thing. I am not the most recyclable creature but some things get my goat.
    Cornelius, I am happy to get you some and send them over )

Your on, of course I like them to be delivered by hand so I can inspect each flint, which might have been the stumbling block before but hey you will get tea and scones (home made) :0)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Your on, of course I like them to be delivered by hand so I can inspect each flint, which might have been the stumbling block before but hey you will get tea and scones (home made) :0)
    Well, there's your problem! lolololol

no worries, pm your addy and the preferred flints. I can always take a macro.... but...........tea and scones........... almost as good as a sphene! ;o)
    Last edited by Wallace; 03-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks everyone, that's great. I'll probably go for one of those.

If you don't fancy the oxycon route - which is by far the easiest and most economical (in the long run) I know, you might look into http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/ as an alternative for occasional use - much cheaper than a BOC contract.

Please excuse me jumping in but do Crafts people like you guys use the Electro/Gas generation welders still? the industry I'm in does as edge polishers for plastics.

I have one that runs on water MEK is used for flame temperature control and once switched off there is no gas of any kind, the Oxy Hydrogen Flame runs to 2,000 C at it's highest setting and came with 12 to 16 nozzles as I recall.

Just wondered if you guys (and Ladies of course) use them in the Jewellery trade still?

best wishes

Dave

Oh as a quick bit of info, A laser cutting company I used to deal with in Poland had a full spec oxy bottle go bang.

This was the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oxy.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	4760

3 Dead, 4 critically injured and a flattened 2 storey building. The restrictions on storage, insurance and location for high pressure gasses are quite extreme (and with good reason) having one at home wil almost certainly invalidate any insurance. Even transporting them requires HazChem notices on the vehicle.

best wishes

Dave

dear lord! My mum has oxygen at home.

Hi Medusa,

If it's a medical cylinder they can still cause problems but are nowhere near as dangerous as industrial cylinders. One of the biggest dangers is oil, mineral oil is basically a hydrocarbon, when it reaches an O2 saturation of 24 to 26% (air is 21%) it will spontaneously ignite.
    That's the reason oil and several other things should not be used in or on Oxygen equipment.

O2 itself is not flammable, it simply supports burning in other things.

Please , please, if anybody is not sure how to handle or use high pressure Oxygen bottles ask the local fire prevention officer to visit (fire stations all have one) they are fantastic people who would rather give you 30 minutes now explaining it all rather than 30 days later trying to identify you.

best wishes

Dave

I'm more reassured. and at least she's stopped smoking now