Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat Fur Bangle!

I use clear quartz cabs to set over paper, fabric etc, so you could set the cat hair under the quartz it also provides a slight magnification depending on the thickness of the cab, or you could taking the resin idea, set the loose hair into clear cast resin, you can buy the bangle molds on ebay I think.
    Lesley
    Poor old Les

Talking about horse hair. My daughters future mother-in-law works in a place that makes fabric out of horse hair, as far as I gather its woven like real cloth. Apparently big jewellers buy it to put on their stands to make them look good, but its very, very expensive to buy. It just so happens that there was a bit of er um "seconds" that came our way. Its quite nice but very stiff, we have two metres of if and we are not quite sure what to do with it for the best result. Almost too afraid to cut it at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    That's unusual - what's the circumstance? Beloved pet? If you're pouring resin over it, how much like fur is it going to look at the end of it, and can you vacuum it to make sure you've no air bubbles? Is it loose fur, or on skin (at which even I'm starting to be slightly squeamish!).

I've seen horse hair jewellery, there are even companies offering to grow diamonds using hair (or the carbon in it anyway): http://www.celebration-diamonds.com/...om_hair%20.asp was one example found with a quick google; I hadn't seen cat fur used until I searched.

I forgot... I did once make cord out of cat fur. A very fluffy persian I'd just finished grooming left me with a huge ball of loose fur, so I idly started teasing the fur out & twisting it into a thin cord. Ran out at about 1m.

So I now use thin plastic, usually from the clear disk that comes in a pack of CDs. It can easily be cut with a saw blade and does not mark too badly, although I would handle it covered with masking tape, while cutting and protect it in the finished work with a rim of metal.

I like this idea, I'll think I'll give this a go first (if I can find a clear cd!) Thanks Dennis
    Beautiful spdider brooch

This is also a good idea! Thanks!