Thread: Custom / precision cuts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Custom / precision cuts

In another thread I mentioned the cut of a stone taking into account he refractive index of the gemstone material. In the US particularly, but around e world as well there are cutters the take pride in custom cutting. The results are amazing, as is the price! I'll let Uli Zeisberg explained it better than I can;

http://www.osirisgems.com/precision_cutting

Hear is what he did with some quartz

Hear are some US Links;

http://tucsongemshow.blogspot.com/20...wins-idar.html
    http://www.johndyergems.com/awards.html

that is stunning! it almost looks like it could be... well not real!

I had something similar from Marcus McCallum a while back in pale amethyst, which originated in South America. Unfortunately I can only show a scan from my photo album.

There were smaller ones for earrings to match and they were very pale. So I glued on cabs in the centres with slow setting Devcon which is clear and waterproof. No doubt regarded as sacrilegious. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fancy Amethyst.jpg  

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There were smaller ones for earrings to match and they were very pale. So I glued on cabs in the centres with slow setting Devcon which is clear and waterproof. No doubt regarded as sacrilegious. Dennis.

lol - our tutor would have made a fun remark I am sure. Not sure where this came from, but he included this with our lightning tour of stone setting.

the setters eye test (an instructive set of reminders we were given) said this:

The sloppy setters tools:
    1 blunt chisel
    2 bent nail
    3 heavy hammer
    4 Arekdeute (large size)
    5 Superglue (for urgent jobs)
    6 Frosted eye glass
    7 plastice padding (to fill in mistakes)
    8 sun glasses (as dark as possible)

I use superglue for sticking metal together prior to soldering sometimes - and as an emergency plaster..

Devcon is great - keeps things stuck for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I use superglue for sticking metal together prior to soldering sometimes - and as an emergency plaster..
    I tend to shy away from the latter; the medical cyanoacrylate does have a different formulation which doesn't lend itself quite so readily to skin irritation. It's also very easy to seal crud into the wound when you're gluing the things together.
    That said, if I need to use it for that (on me, outside of work only!) it happens - but only if I haven't any Dermabond handy.

My other use for CA is to glue fancy stones onto metal, table down, then hit them with a blast of CA accelerator. The stones can then be scribed around for subsequent seat cutting, then the CA dissolved away in acetone. Obvious caveats apply - won't work well with asymmetric, dyed or porous stones and involves the use of VOCs...
    Last edited by ps_bond; 25-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I tend to shy away from the latter; the medical cyanoacrylate does have a different formulation which doesn't lend itself quite so readily to skin irritation. It's also very easy to seal crud into the wound when you're gluing the things together.
    That said, if I need to use it for that (on me, outside of work only!) it happens - but only if I haven't any Dermabond handy.
    I was given the advice by a local A&E after a visit. Again it is only as an emergency and only after a cleaned out wound and only if it is no bigger than 1 mm. But Dermabond would of course be the best option.