Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Silver Smithing Course...

Default New Silver Smithing Course...

Hi.

I have been silversmithing for the last 2 years, and am reasonably well versed in the skill.

I would like to start a small course from home, a single day, in which you come for cake and tea and make a ring.

Do you know if you need any licenses, or qualifications to do this?

I am unsure how to do this, and haven't found anything online.

Sarah.

Hi Sarah

You'll definitely need public liability insurance before you can do this. You'd also have to make sure you comply with health & safety guidelines. The Guild of Jewellery Designers offers a membership option that includes public & product liability insurance. You can pay by installments every two months, I think it's about £15 every two months or approx £80 if you pay for a full years membership.

I think Carole Allen might be able to tell you more about this, I think she does classes at her studio.

Hi Sarah, yes I'm insured under the Guild of Jewellery Designers and have a teaching qualification, though I don't think you necessarily need that. Other than that, just go for it.

Hi Sarah
    I guess there is no need to to do anything in order to get licenses. Your skill is your strength.

I'd say 2 years experience is very little to be able to teach others. I've had about 15 years experience and it sometimes takes all my efforts to keep everyone happy. I had 4 in my studio on Sunday, all beginners and all making something different. They all went home with something lovely, but I was knackered by the end of the day. Between them they made a Russian wedding ring (all 3 rings different), 3 wire bangles with dangly bits and beads, 1 pair reticulated earrings, 1 heart shaped pendant and 1 anticlastic bangle with copper wire line. Basically I demonstrated most of them, with them doing the filing, piercing and all the easy bits.

caroleallen out of curiosity I googled Russian wedding ring. Never heard about it, and I've never seen anybody in Russia wearing this ring as a wedding ring. Ever
    Lana.

Carole, at what point did you start teaching? Not that I have any desire or intention to go down this route, more as a marker in the sand of when.........I'm 5 years in to this trad and still learning, (I have learned loads from you via the forums and found the forums & books full of information), much as I could teach some of the basics (it's the mastering of a technique and soving so many styles (such as the 4 you have listed) that would concern me.....2 years doesn't seem like a great deal of experience to me either, were you thinking of teaching something specific Sarah??

Sorry, I'm unable to help on all of the insurance questions!!

Best of luck
    Tabby x

Hi.

I probably should clarify. I was thinking more of doing a 'ring party' where a small number come and learn to make a ring, or russian wedding ring while eating cake and drinking tea. They have had a day out, and a lovely hand made ring.

It is only intended to be a one day thing. Rather like going to paint a pot.

I am well versed in making single rings and russian wedding rings. It may also be worth saying. I have been doing glass jewellery for the last 7 years. This included silversmithing, but was not exclusive.

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely look into public liability.

S. xxx

It sounds like a nice idea

Public liability insurance is a must before starting something like this just in case anything just happens to go wrong and someone is injured. You'll need to check that the insurance covers you for teaching small groups. As far as I know, the GOJD cover is quite comprehensive for jewellery designers and teaching is included in the cover.

I'd be abit careful of wording..
    There is abit of difference between silversmithing & silver jewellery making..

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2