Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham School of Jewellery Summer courses!

Out of curiosity how where the courses? Would you recommend? I'm trying to find a good stone setting course asap, my skills are really lacking!

Hi there
    how did you find out about the courses. I can't seem to navigate their website?
    Did i

I can't find any details of summer courses for 2013 yet but the link below has a list of 'short' courses available. It does list the summer short courses but there is no brochure or list of course titles. There are some short courses listed but these run over the space of a whole academic year and are one class a week. Hope this helps:

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/biad/jewellery/courses?type=4

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/biad/jewellery/...ery---overview

Think the summer courses are published closer to the time each year.....I've never done any there, so can't comment.

Ye annoyingly they're not up yet, I really really wanted to do stone setting last year but finances got in the way so hoping to sign up for some classes somewhere maybe over Easter or something, not sure I can wait till summer! ...But I can hopefully do more then

Default Summer Courses

To my knowledge the dates for the summer courses at Birmingham's School of Jewellery are due out soon, if you can't wait ring Dawn Meaden-Johnson at the JIIC,

I usually Teach 4 days covering Jewellery (The making of) and 1 day silver soldering....

I'll give Dawn a call on Monday and hopefully come back with some useful info...

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

I really wanted to do a stone setting course also but I read last years brochure and was a bit apprehensive because all the setting is done using pre-cast rings (that goes for both the beginner one and the improver one as far as I could gather). I was hoping for something covering more about fabricating settings as this is the area I'd really love to improve.

I'd definitely like to do at least one course there though. Maybe something gemstone related.

Traditionally, mount making is a different discipline. IIRC, there are 2 separate City & Guilds courses - one for mount making, the other for setting. When I did the course with Tom, he also offered one in mount making.

Hmmm interesting I had presumed you would learn how to make some of the settings at least, I need to learn better how to set anyway though so still relevant to me.

Does anyone know if this course and place are any good?

http://www.londonjewelleryschool.co....silver-2-days/

The JIIC will be releasing the summer course brochure on March 6th in PDF form and anyone requiring information should contact:

Dawn Meaden-Johnson
    Short Course Co-ordinator
    T: # 44 (0) 121 248 4584 : Mon/Tue/Thurs 9am to 2.30pm
    Birmingham City University, Jewellery Industry Innovation Centre & School of Jewellery, Hockley, B1

[email] dawn.meaden-johnson@bcu.ac.uk

I know they have the occasional sample classes (1 day) that cover some of the subjects so it's worth contacting the person who knows (see above) and explain exactly what you're looking for...

Regards
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true