Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: stone setting with gravers - how to protect the thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Does sound like it was a fun course - I'd still love to see a full report + pics (joint effort?) if possible, please!

For 3mm & above stones, I don't use magnification much other than checking with a loupe; I use the Optivisor & microscope for smaller stuff. I've been experimenting more with precutting with power recently; I'm dialling the power way down to get the control, which means it's not really any faster, just less effort.

There's a massive difference between being taught be a pro setter and someone who just teaches setting, isn't there? Did he teach seat cutting with a bullstick too?
    Yes, he did teach seat cutting with a bullstick. We had a day of getting our gravers etc. sorted and then cutting lines and circles. Once we'd done that, we moved on to cutting seats and raising grains. We then set stones in different patterns so that we could tidy up the surrounding areas. That was the bit where I failed miserably as I just couldn't seem to make it all look nice and shiny.

I was a lot happier once we moved on to other types of settings. Although I can see the beauty of pave setting, it's not really my style. I'm glad I know how to do it though, as maybe at some point in the future I might want to do it.

Looks a good course, where was it - London? I could do with a course like that, it would be interesting and I would learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Yes, he did teach seat cutting with a bullstick. We had a day of getting our gravers etc. sorted and then cutting lines and circles. Once we'd done that, we moved on to cutting seats and raising grains. We then set stones in different patterns so that we could tidy up the surrounding areas. That was the bit where I failed miserably as I just couldn't seem to make it all look nice and shiny.

I was a lot happier once we moved on to other types of settings. Although I can see the beauty of pave setting, it's not really my style. I'm glad I know how to do it though, as maybe at some point in the future I might want to do it.

It was at John Cass at the London Metropolitan Pat. Tony Tigg does a couple of courses there a year.

I may have to venture into the big wide world then and book myself onto a course later in the year. My daughter and I are going in with a third person to open a small shop which we got a very cheap rent on, where we can sell some of the things we make and do a couple of workshops. Scary stuff, cos I have never been involved in a sales environment, but if I dont have a go now, I never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I may have to venture into the big wide world then and book myself onto a course later in the year. My daughter and I are going in with a third person to open a small shop which we got a very cheap rent on, where we can sell some of the things we make and do a couple of workshops. Scary stuff, cos I have never been involved in a sales environment, but if I dont have a go now, I never will.
    Ooh well done you. Very exciting. Will be very interested to know how it goes.

Its only on a six month lease, just to see if it works out. My husband works nights, so has his main meal at lunchtime, which could be difficult to achieve as the shop is about 7 miles away from home. Have to get a bit more organised than I am now, have to get out with the dogs mega early, so when I leave them, they can cross their legs until hubby gets home at around 11a.m. Daughter works full time and mum is 95 so cant leave them there either. Hope it will work out, cos at the moment it just seems like a juggling act that may or may not go according to plan.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Its only on a six month lease, just to see if it works out. My husband works nights, so has his main meal at lunchtime, which could be difficult to achieve as the shop is about 7 miles away from home. Have to get a bit more organised than I am now, have to get out with the dogs mega early, so when I leave them, they can cross their legs until hubby gets home at around 11a.m. Daughter works full time and mum is 95 so cant leave them there either. Hope it will work out, cos at the moment it just seems like a juggling act that may or may not go according to plan.
    sounds like a great opportunity and one not to miss Pat. Hope it goes really well, you make such lovely items.

Tony's next course is on in the summer and with the Olympics, I am not sure it will be easy to get around London unless you are camping outside! lol

info on his course is: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/jcamd/cou...ne-setting.cfm

I would go again, just because it was amazing and I am totally hooked.

Carole was so great to be working next to, fab in fact. You made all the difference, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. xx

Yup, definitely would do it all again.

and now for the picture show - please note this was my first real go at doing this. I have never had lessons anything I have done in jewellery making. I was so ready for this........

Attachment 3536Attachment 3537Attachment 3538
    Last edited by Wallace; 17-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.

I'm definitely not showing my pitiful attempts. Macro lenses don't do us any favours.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm definitely not showing my pitiful attempts. Macro lenses don't do us any favours.
    So not going there - was going to do a bit of photo editing! lol

I will get better - these should go in the drawer of eternal darkness! lol

The star setting looks fab, and the second square setting - both on the second image. Well done!