Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
Does sound like it was a fun course - I'd still love to see a full report + pics (joint effort?) if possible, please!

For 3mm & above stones, I don't use magnification much other than checking with a loupe; I use the Optivisor & microscope for smaller stuff. I've been experimenting more with precutting with power recently; I'm dialling the power way down to get the control, which means it's not really any faster, just less effort.

There's a massive difference between being taught be a pro setter and someone who just teaches setting, isn't there? Did he teach seat cutting with a bullstick too?
Yes, he did teach seat cutting with a bullstick. We had a day of getting our gravers etc. sorted and then cutting lines and circles. Once we'd done that, we moved on to cutting seats and raising grains. We then set stones in different patterns so that we could tidy up the surrounding areas. That was the bit where I failed miserably as I just couldn't seem to make it all look nice and shiny.

I was a lot happier once we moved on to other types of settings. Although I can see the beauty of pave setting, it's not really my style. I'm glad I know how to do it though, as maybe at some point in the future I might want to do it.