Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

Default Hello all

Just a quick note to say hello. I have been an ameture gemologist for about 10 years now, but not I would like to learn to set some of the treats I have collected.

I love working with silver, expecialy wire and chain malle. my son says it brings out my inner dwarf!

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I love working with silver, expecialy wire and chain malle. my son says it brings out my inner dwarf! Julian
    Welcome to the forum, Julian, but which dwarf are you? You can't have Grumpy, that's me.Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Julian, but which dwarf are you? You can't have Grumpy, that's me.Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

I think he had lord of the rings and their work with Mithril in mind rather than snow white, but I'll pick Bashfull

Julian

Welcome Julian,
    Do you just collect, or do you do any cutting as well?

Dennis - I'd have you down as Doc, but then I'm no Snow White

Welcome from me too, Julian! I just LOVE shiny rocks :-)

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Welcome Julian,
    Do you just collect, or do you do any cutting as well?

Dennis - I'd have you down as Doc, but then I'm no Snow White
    Hi Denis,

Actually i got in to gemmology over ten year ago when i wanted to find a present for my wife for our tenth wedding anniversary. Being me shopping wasn't enough, I had to know all about it. Of course the present was diamonds, my mother in law who lives in the Philippines, recommended her jeweler to do the assemble of my design and the setting. Cooksons supplied the gold and the diamonds were sourced from a cutter in Hong Kong, who was a friend of the family. We were all set but then came along SARs, My mother in law was in PH with the stones, and unable to travel. There was nothing else to do but buy more gold and diamonds and get something made locally for the day. This ring is now worn every day by my wife along with her engagement ring. All that introduced me to colored stones or at least opened up a new way of thinking about them and many new ways of looking at them. Being a technical kind of person, i soon had my own gemological equipment and started testing. In those days the ISG was more of a hobby site and the school was just starting. I followed their online course, with dreams of qualifying under the GEM-A unfortunately that course/exam is a couple of thousand pounds and with two kids i have never actually got round to doing the exam, in spite of having all the materials. maybe one day.

Believe it or not, i don't actual collect stones per say, I do have a "library" of synthetics and treatments for reference, an quite often by "fakes" on ebay just to see what they really are. When i do buy stones it is because i can imagine/picture them in a piece of jewelery. it's now time to learn to make those dreams a reality.

As regards cutting, no I have never go in that direction.

Julian

Welcome Julian!

Sonia
    x

Hi Julian, Nice to have another member from NL. I sit in the Alblasserwaard, the middle of no-where...
    I think I noticed in another thread you are looking for stone setting courses, have you contacted the Vakschool they also have a school in Amsterdam this is the info for stone setting. http://www.vakschoolschoonhoven.nl/036.php
    They also have a series of open days over the next few weeks, so pop along and check them out.

Enjoy the forum
    Lesley
    Last edited by art925; 10-04-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Poor old Les

Lesley,

Middle of no-where, only some of the best carp fishing in the country !

Thanks for the tip, as ironic as it seems the Vakschool (ROC) is in the building opposite my office, but for the main part, they are day time courses. I am just not sure my dutch might no hold me back a bit. In the mean time I have booked a 5 day course at inthestudio.co.uk for about the same price.

Interestingly the ROC also does gemology courses under the FEEG and NEL (Nederlands Edelsteen Laboratorium) might also be worth a look when i finally decide to do my certification.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Lesley,

Middle of no-where, only some of the best carp fishing in the country !

Julian
    Well Julian when you are in the area for carp fishing, do drop me a line, a good cup of tea awaits!! Not wishing to offend, but the Dutch are not known for a good cuppa.

Lesley
    Poor old Les