Thread: Workshop tips..?

Default Workshop tips..?

hi there,

I have been in the process of making silver jewellery for 2 years now, but I'm struggling to keep a routine going, Wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I had a studio in my shed, but it is extremely cold and I have spider issues, so I mainly work in my bedroom.

Obiviously my mom doesn't like fumes in the house so when I'm making jewellery I do my annealing, etching and forging in the shed and piercing, filing, polishing in my bedroom..., Its very distruptive and I'm sruggling. I've researched Lots of artists for my business plan, there are loads of artists that work in their front rooms and bedrooms but fail to mention how they handle acids and annealling.

Any usefull tips would be great, thanks

Maz

I deliberately keep my hot, noisy, toxic and very messy areas separate from my main bench. Partly because of living in a listed building, but mainly because I would otherwise spend all day in one place without moving around enough. As I also wanted running water for things, I converted the utility room into a studio which happens to have a washing machine in it rather than the other way round!

Get a portable gas heater for your shed:http://www.playtimes.co.uk/cosy-heat...able%2Bgas%2Bh.

Make sure there is adequate ventilation, avoid pungent chemicals like sulphuric acid and liver of sulphur, by using alum and Platinol instead. Dennis.

I'd echo Dennis and advise getting a heater for your shed! I have a little portable caravan heater under my bench which cost me about seven quid on eBay, it's a halogen one. My feet and legs stay toasty warm, and after a bit of work my upper body is warm enough to take my jumper off. Works suprisingly well for such a simple solution, I've been working out there quite happily all through the winter.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Thanks for the advise. I already have a foot heater, I was concerned at how high the electric bills would be as Im quite ectothermic. I have decided to insulate my shed before moving in, but for now I reside in my bedroom, I have invested in a oil burner for my acids. thank you.

If you are working in silver, at current prices, the cost of a few bobs worth of leccy to keep your lizard like body warm is not gonna make much difference, unless of course you are HUGE in which case your money might be better spent on a gastric band ;0)

The electicity in my workshop is free, I have solar panels on the roof, which provides more than enough for my needs, excess gets diverted to the house, so probably provides an ovens worth to cook diner.
    The shed is well insulated, apart from the floor, which requires probably laminate this year...maybe. I use a gas heater inplace of electicity, and to compensate plug in the dehumidifyer over night.

Les
    Poor old Les