Thread: Returns on sized rings?

newbie2012 Guest

Default Returns on sized rings?

Hello,

If one were to sell one-off rings online in standard size Ms, and offer to resize them upon purchase if desired (say, 2 sizes each way) is the buyer entitled to return them under the distance selling regs if they have been resized? Or can they only return the pre-made size M? I'm trying to work out when "personalised" and non-refundable starts. I'm also thinking that repeated resizing and returns would weaken a ring structure?

Many thanks

Sadly your concerns are the reason I do not make rings for folk that I cannot fit in person, for me, far too fraught with potential problems. Have you considered making adjustable rings, Dennis came up with a very elegant adjustable ring some time back and though I am not suggesting you copy that design (actually come to think of it the image is gone) it does at least show there are other solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
    Hello,

If one were to sell one-off rings online in standard size Ms, and offer to resize them upon purchase if desired (say, 2 sizes each way) is the buyer entitled to return them under the distance selling regs if they have been resized? Or can they only return the pre-made size M? I'm trying to work out when "personalised" and non-refundable starts. I'm also thinking that repeated resizing and returns would weaken a ring structure?

Many thanks

I queried that with my TS and they said they would be custom made as long as you would have to make everything from scratch and the finished ring would look exactly the same as pictured. I would say it would be un-returnable as they have an option to buy it in the offered size to examine it and then order in the required size.

I think your attitude to your customers should always be seen as helpful and caring. As Kwant has said, sizing rings at a distance is difficult, as rings of the same size, but different widths appear to be tighter or loose on the finger. However if you decide to go ahead you may quote your rules ‘regretfully’ trusting that most will abide by them. Remember you can’t deprive customers their rights if you are unable to provide a fit.

You might like to look at this too: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3169

Kwant has kindly mentioned my version of a simple adjustable ring, below. There are many other versions, but please feel free to experiment with this. I have used square wire, and to enlarge it you simply push it up a triblet manually. To reduce it you pinch the loops gently with pliers.

Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adjustable Ring..jpg   Adjustable Ring Scheme for Shank.jpg  

newbie2012 Guest

Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I agree on attitude, I was just curious on the definition of personalised. Thanks

OK, then I think it’s worth one more shot. I am not legally trained , but from reading consumer magazines, this is how I see it:

Anything made at the customer’s request, which is not part of your regular stock is custom made, be it a special size, a special design, or something with their initials.

If they order it they cannot expect a refund just because they have changed their minds, but they can claim instead that it is not fit for purpose, because it does not fit, or because there is some other fault.

This is usually resolved by expert opinions and ultimately in a court of law. Unfortunately this process proves to be very expensive, so it is usually expedient to give a refund. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    OK, then I think it’s worth one more shot. I am not legally trained , but from reading consumer magazines, this is how I see it:

Anything made at the customer’s request, which is not part of your regular stock is custom made, be it a special size, a special design, or something with their initials.

If they order it they cannot expect a refund just because they have changed their minds, but they can claim instead that it is not fit for purpose, because it does not fit, or because there is some other fault.

This is usually resolved by expert opinions and ultimately in a court of law. Unfortunately this process proves to be very expensive, so it is usually expedient to give a refund. Dennis.
    When we used to run an ecommerce site we stated that if the rings were needed in a specific size. These rings were then personalised (just as a ring that is engraved) and under the blah blah regulations this item is not returnable unles there was a manufacturing defect.

If you are still unsire, make a charge to size a ring to a customers request or state that there is a handling charge of, for example £10, to cover costs.

Either way, this will make sure that they order the right size in the first place and will put off the ones who will order a ring for the sake of it.

Never had any problems.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers