Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Priced Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi, I would like to know where you sell your stuff for that sort of money. We exhibit ours at local craft fairs and as a rule people look at the prices first and say its lovely but I cant afford that price, and we are talking about £60 or less for a ring similar to Dennis's. Perhaps we just live in a poor part of the country, but I have had people jib at paying £50 for a chainmaille bracelet.
    Hi Patstone :-) ,

I sell on my website, Etsy and a local gallery in the Cotswolds. I don't do craft fairs as they weren't successful for me at all.

Of course, Dennis, you said in the first post that it's peridot. just shows that the ring would look equally beautiful with a dark green gem ;-)

But do you make a living at it? could you survive without having another income.

Quote Originally Posted by lilia View Post
    Hi Patstone :-) ,

I sell on my website, Etsy and a local gallery in the Cotswolds. I don't do craft fairs as they weren't successful for me at all.

Of course, Dennis, you said in the first post that it's peridot. just shows that the ring would look equally beautiful with a dark green gem ;-)

Hi, I do, I wouldn't say it is a huge income. I certainly don't live in a huge house and drive the most expensive car. Of course, everyone wishes to have a large income, but I don't think any craft jewellers ever achieved it, unless they went really big.

I started out making jewellery back in 1989 and I have made a living from it since.

I do sell other jewellery admittedly but it pays enough for a comfortable life style, pays the rent, 4 staff, all the overheads, a wife. triplet daughters (14 years old), mortgage, holidays each year, pension and a little bit left over in my savings.

The teaching and online training is extra income on top of this.

It does all depend on how much you want out of life.

If you want to sell at craft fairs then your jewellery that you make has to reflect that market. If you want to sell 1 ct diamond solitaires then you aint gonna sell that many at a craft fair.

So think about the kind of income you want, look as to what type of market will give you that income and make jewellery to fit that market that will give you the income.

What does everyone think?

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Well Andrew, that is another way of looking at something, making the jewellery for the market you want. I am still not sure that we would be good enough to command high prices for the jewellery we make at the moment. If you are good enough to set a 1 ct diamond, you still have to buy the diamond in the first place and we havent got that sort of money. A lot of what you do is governed by money or rather lack of it.

We are renting a shop in an arcade in a market town close to Exeter, getting the lease signed tomorrow, we are sharing it with a lady that make pictures out of material, not sure if it will work, because we are taking the lease for a six month term to test the water and we don't have the money to be able to fit it out as we would like.

I am hoping to be able to take teaching on a one-to-one basis sometime in the future, just elementary stuff and who knows from there on. I am retired and 65, hubby works nights, and is home during the day, so dont want to spend every day in the shop and my daughter works full time, so really we have to share with someone else to enable me to have time with hubby and my two dogs. I will keep an open mind about the shop, its not in a great location, but a lot cheaper than the same in Exeter. We are having difficulty naming the shop as we will be running two separate businesses from there, thats another reason why its just a trial six months. Bit scarey.
    Last edited by Patstone; 29-04-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

I'm quite excited for you, Pat. How about starting a new thread so members can brainstorm possible names? Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

wishing you all the best Pat xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm quite excited for you, Pat. How about starting a new thread so members can brainstorm possible names? Dennis.
    Fab idea, as always

Thats a good idea, we thought about just calling it UNIT 4, as a modern and contemporary name which I think is quite novel. The sewing lady (Judy) has a name for her part and has a website and its Creative Memories and of course ours (my daughter Sam and I are called Isca Silver. The whole idea is so that we will get our name out there. The shop was Judy's idea and she was thinking of renting it on her own but found that the rent was too high for one person so she asked us if we wanted to share. Judy says she doesnt think we need a name, as our name will be on our till receipts, but if people are referring to the shop, telling friends what a wonderful shop it is and it doesnt have a name..................... to all intents and purposes anyone walking in to the shop wont know that it is two separate businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Last edited by Patstone; 30-04-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: more info

Congrats on the shop Pat .............. hope it goes well x
    Pauline x