Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time do you spend...

Default How much time do you spend...

I'm in the middle of some serious time planning, as I'm splitting my time helping my OH with his fledgling sweet pea nursery and making & sell jewellery online and at fairs.

How much time do you guys spend on deadling with your webpage, loading pics, writing blogs, etc etc. I realise some of you make a living purely from making jewellery and others spend less time, as its a hobby/p/t.

Could I have your thoughts please....
    Jules

Virtually none Jules. I spend every waking hour making jewellery.

Haha.. I bet your secret helper does that side of the business eh?

yeah I know its a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I had to ask it, otherwise how do I find out.
    Jules

That did make me laugh Jules. My secret helper is keeping his help so secret I have difficulty finding it !! But seriously I should spend more time on updating my website etc. It's just that it's actually making the jewellery that I enjoy, not running a business. That's one of the things I didn't really appreciate when I went full time on it. I should be doing Facebook, Twitter etc but I don't.

You and me both Carole I do the absolute bare minimum - keep the website more or less up to date (though I have about 30 new products to add when I get round to doing the photography, editing, etc etc etc) and packing/posting etc. I reckon it accounts for 20% of my working day if I include all the packing up etc.

Jules, at the end of the day, it's about what works for you, especially if it's not a full time job.

Thanks Carole/George. I wish I could devote all my time to making (and hopefully selling) jewellery, but there would be mutiny if I did!
    Jules

Do you mind me asking George and Carole, how did you grow your jewellery businesses to the level you have and still managed to maintain the best bit as your main activity?? Really really keen to know any tips!!
    Thank you xx

For me, it's simple - I just don't do all the social networking stuff. I don't blog, I don't have a fb account, I don't tweet, tumbl or pin. But I've been lucky, and have some amazing customers.

Oh, and working 16 hour days helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    For me, it's simple - I just don't do all the social networking stuff. I don't blog, I don't have a fb account, I don't tweet, tumbl or pin. But I've been lucky, and have some amazing customers.

Oh, and working 16 hour days helps.....
    I don't know how you get enough time to sleep or eat !!! perhaps you don't...

and on that note, I'm off to bed, as I've got a ton of gardening to do tomorrow.

nite nite
    Jules

I try to make jewellery when my boy is in school (hiding in the shed) and hit the laptop when he gets in to sort photos, list things for sale etc. We have a house rule of killing electronics and being all together on the sofa by half eight, although this can be flexible depending on deadlines etc. Filing, polishing, knitting and designing usually happen cuddled up in front of the telly while having my feet rubbed :-)

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com