Thread: Fibula

Default Fibula

I have made a fibula brooch, and I have not the foggiest idea how they are worn. Is the prong supposed to pierce fabric, or is it more like a toggle/woggle for a scarf?

I have hunted on Google and can only find pictures of them not how they are worn. I only need to know for the sake of taking pics as I will not be wearing it myself :0)

They're usually worn on knitwear, shawls, scarves or on a the lapel of a loose weave coat. Ideally the pin should be slightly blunted (like a wool needle) so that it parts, rather than pierces the fabric. Not good on jersey or close weaves as the thicker wire generally used would leave a hole.

They tend to naturally hang to one side, so it's always worth checking by holding up the pinned in place piece to make sure it sits right.

Thank you George, I have seen them with what appear to be quite large pins so I guessed it might be for open weave things. It is in the tumbler at the moment will post a pic when it is out and the stone is set.

Needs a little bit of tidying but at least I now know how it works (on the only scarf I have, possum wool :0) ) and yes for those who know me, that is the last tine from the Zombie pickle fork.

Moonstone fibula by kwant, on Flickr

I like that very much Cornelius, how big is it?

I can also see it looking very good on a hat

Fee, Fie, Fo, Sqawk! I see the prong of a Pickle Fork. Very nice Idea, Cornelius, but not new. I used to wear one on the way to the Forum. Dennis.

Lol Dennis now you are just showing your age.

It is 7cm top to bottom and 3cm at the widest point

It's lovely.
    Pauline x