Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Multi-Stranded Bangle.

Default The Multi-Stranded Bangle.

When I first started, my head was full of way out images, so it is only now that I am attempting some of the basics. Here is a multi-stranded bangle made from ten rings of 1.2mm silver wire, each looped through the ones before.

Ideally they would have been welded, but for soldering I made a special tool with clips, on the lines suggested by James Miller, from two strips of stainless steel. The clips have extensions which were riveted in the shape of a cross using a piece of wire from a coat hanger. This has the advantage of avoiding waste and the resulting, rather stiff hinge allows for adjustment.

The wire rings were first soldered separately and rounded on a mandrel. Then they were cut, assembled , re-soldered one at a time and hammered again. By using hard drawn wire, easy solder, and the new tool as a heat sink, only a short length of wire was softened by heating.

I purposely used surplus solder, thinking that the little nodes would be a design feature to distinguish it from just a reel of wire, which of course it is. That’s my story anyhow. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms. Crossed Clips In Use.jpg   ms. All Linked.jpg   ms. As  Worn By A Friend.jpg  

I like that very much Dennis. I make a lot of intertwined bangles, bur rarely with as many strands as that!

I'm a little concerned about your friend, however....

Yes the friend looks a bit spineless!

Don't worry Ruby, he's 'armless really..........................well somebody had to...................

It's a she actually; she's been a pillar of strength and I wooden be without her.

How about the new tool then, derived from James' clips? It could have been a real hassle matching up the wire ends without it. Take a bow, James.

gorgeous bangle and the clips look great. where do you get stainless steel like that? can you just adapt something?

Mine was cut from an unwanted letter box flap, Liz, but You can buy some here, I think:http://www.plhillsales.com/productli...?Type=Phosphor. Dennis

sadly the letter box flap I have sitting in my workshop awaiting 're-purposing' is brass. I must get sorted with some of those doo-dahs.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    gorgeous bangle and the clips look great. where do you get stainless steel like that? can you just adapt something?
    I got my stainless steel for clamps from :-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/met-all-fab...4.l1581&_pgn=2

If you buy the 1mm thick, it is quite difficult to cut, it can be cut with a 0 grade saw blade in a jewellers saw, but it takes ages. When the clip is made and bent to shape, I find that it is quite difficult to open, so the last lot I made with 0.8mm thick stainless which I could cut with shears and open quite easily, and they did the job very well.

ahhh thanks for that! maybe my soldering will start to improve!