Thread: Tiaras and circlets

Default Tiaras and circlets

Hi All
    I have just been asked to make a circlet for someone in a similar style to a bange I made. The bangle was 2.5mm diameter sterling wire with 1mm wire wrappped round it and leaves soldered on it. For a circlet it would need to be thicker and I am thinking 3mm would be better and 4mm for a tiara. Has anyone had experience of making these and any idea of thickness?
    Jane

Hi Jane,
    I'm sorry you have been left without an answer and I don't do them, but see our prize competition for February. It does strike me that these are items rarely won, possibly only once, so it would be better to use non- precious materials such as german silver and crystals. I hope someone more knowledgeable will pop up for you. Dennis.

Not sure I count as being knowledgable, but my tiaras are made with 3mm round silver wire. The hearts, stars or flowers are on 1.2mm wire, wrapped around the base at intervals and soldered.

As a matter if interest Carole, are they worn for anything other than weddings? They would certainly draw some remarks in Tesco. Dennis.

Thanks Carole, I am glad to know I was along the right lines. I have some 3mm wire and only have about 45cm and I think I need about 50cm. It is always the way, not enough rather than too much for something! I have also been thinking of using rectangular wire and drilling holes into and soldering wire of leaves on stalks through.

Jane

I've sold one to someone going on a cruise before and also girls for their "proms" but no, mostly it's brides. I don't sell loads of them.

Thinking about it, Jane, I just lay the wires across the thicker wire and solder them before wrapping them around. It's very easy.